Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mozilla's Push For Super Fast CSS With Quantum/Stylo

Phoronix: Mozilla's Push For Super Fast CSS With Quantum/Stylo

Since the end of July Stylo has been available via Firefox Nightly as the Rust-written Servo CSS style system. For those curious about this modern CSS system and the broader effort as part of bringing Servo/Quantum components to Firefox, Mozilla has out an interesting blog post...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It feels much faster with Servo enabled, I think they are on the right track... Exciting, a step a lot of users are expecting from Firefox since years to make rendering faster. The Webrender engine written in Rust is not stable yet, on AMD it works quite well, on Intel is quite buggy. If they enable/merge Wayland now for testing, I would be happy :-)

Comment

the first? what about webrender

Comment

While those things are really nice to have it still irks me that we are missing important stuff on Linux

Comment

What was the name of the new browser project based on Servo, that's using game engine like design? I can't find it now.

Comment

I've chimed in with this before, but I'll say it again: Firefox Nightly 56 and 57 finally make Firefox feel close enough to Chrome for speed that it's not a burden to use Firefox.

Comment

I've been using this for about two weeks now. Not only is it much faster at rendering pages now, but also fixes a number of bugs with the previous CSS processor (either bugs, or it just implements some newer features that weren't in the old one). It's amazing how much of a difference this has made on performance, despite not having anything to do with page rendering at all.

It's just cascading multiple CSS files together in parallel and handling conflicts with priorities accordingly. So, you won't see any difference in web browser benchmarks, unless those benchmarks are able to measure how fast you can parse a lot of CSS files. CSS-heavy websites like Google+ are much, much more responsive now.

The next step will be getting WebRender working properly, which is coming soon.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                What was the name of the new browser project based on Servo, that's using game engine like design? I can't find it now.
                Is it this https://github.com/browserhtml/browserhtml ?

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post
                  I think it is, but I can't find anything there now, that mentions that they used design approach of game engines, and also planned to use Vulkan eventually. I'm sure I saw that in the past.

UPDATE: I found it! What I saw, was Webrender: https://github.com/servo/webrender/wiki
                  Last edited by shmerl; 22 August 2017, 04:51 PM.

Comment

I have been using Firefox Nightly for a few weeks now and it's fantastic! And with the new squared tabs and the dark theme it looks so much better! There is also a development version of ublock which is the only extension that I really need. (but of course I whitelisted phoronix)

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
                    The next step will be getting WebRender working properly, which is coming soon.
                    Is WebRender still planned for Firefox 57?

Comment

Working...
                    X