Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calamares 3.2 Linux Installer Working On Wayland Support

Phoronix: Calamares 3.2 Linux Installer Working On Wayland Support

Calamares, the open-source project trying to be the universal installer framework by Linux distributions, is working towards their big v3.2 update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Calamares, the open-source project trying to be the universal installer framework by Linux distributions, is working towards their big v3.2 update..
    Did you miss typing "used"?

Comment

Did they fixed installation for users who need couple of keyboard layouts? Choosing Russian keyboard layout makes English keyboard layout disappear right a way, so user can't even set username on next step (because only Russian keyboard layout left). Some users need even three keyboard layouts by default, but I don't even talk about that.

Comment

You don't really need this for wayland support. It can be achieved just by setting some environmental variables (somewhat ugly hack but it works). But in any case it's better to have GUI running as non-root.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
          Did they fixed installation for users who need couple of keyboard layouts? Choosing Russian keyboard layout makes English keyboard layout disappear right a way, so user can't even set username on next step (because only Russian keyboard layout left). Some users need even three keyboard layouts by default, but I don't even talk about that.
          The golden rule is to set English keyboard and after the installation to add whatever you want as keyboard. Anyway you can push issue to the developers
          Distribution-independent installer framework. Contribute to calamares/calamares development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

Great, everywhere Wayland improvements... Kodi, KDE Applications and now Calamares :-)

Comment

A universal installer framework? I didn't know this was a thing, I like this thing, we need more things like this on the linux scene, things we can call "universal"

Comment

does it offer some sane btrfs profiles in 2017?

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
                  This is pretty often a problem for a lot of installers, especially in connection with disk encryption.
                  E.g. you select your keyboard layout of choice go full disk encryption with the result that the password for encryption was typed in wrong layout.
                  Last time I tested Manjaro's calamares, it didn't work.
                  But I haven't had time to file a bug report for it.
                  openSuse has the same issues, reported here: http://bugzilla.suse.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1046436

A few installers got things right, that are: Ubiquity, Anaconda and Cnchi.

Comment

Jokes on them, everyone already has a "installer"

return self;

=P

Comment

Working...
                    X