KDE Applications 17.08 Released, More Apps Ported To KF5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
    Regarding applications that are part of the KDE Applications release cycle, please also see our coordination page at https://community.kde.org/Applicatio..._list_kdelibs4

Other ("extragear") applications, such as Amarok, KRecipes, or Rekonq, also still seek volunteers to help porting.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      It's kinda unbelievable how much you have to wait on Linux for a basic and common sense feature like creation time...
      Sorry to burst your bubble, but Linux simply does not support file creation time. It is supported on BSDs, though.

EDIT: It looks like it has recently been added to Linux 4.11, but I see no mention of that in the new glibc 2.26 to access it. https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...-creation-date
      Last edited by cfeck; 17 August 2017, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
        I think it is overdue to get rid of kdelibs4 and Qt4 and to make all applications KF5 and Wayland compatible. If some applications are left behind, so be it, especially if these are just some games. Amarok never worked well for me and was way too complicated, but Babe works perfectly and it looks surprisingly beautiful. Kmail and KAddressbook should see some polish as well to make them work properly in Wayland.

Anyway, I'm happy about this release! All applications did run really stable even in the rc phase :-)
        I just uninstalled qt4 af few weeks back. There are qt5 branches of Mumble, VLC, and Clementine that I know of. Programs I noticed that don't have qt5 releases are freecad, luxmark, simplescreenrecorder, hedgewars, and amarok. I believe Debian means to drop qt4 in their next release.

gtk2 is also fairly close to gone from my system. The only apps still using it on my current desktop are desume, firefox, gitter native, gzdoom, steam, thunderbird, vscode, and qtox.

That being said, it might be years for firefox and steam to drop their gtk2 dependencies.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
          That being said, it might be years for firefox and steam to drop their gtk2 dependencies.
          The only reason Firefox still depends on GTK2 (as a build-time dependency, not a runtime one) is for its plugin system (i e stuff like Adobe Flash).

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post

I just uninstalled qt4 af few weeks back. There are qt5 branches of Mumble, VLC, and Clementine that I know of. Programs I noticed that don't have qt5 releases are freecad, luxmark, simplescreenrecorder, hedgewars, and amarok. I believe Debian means to drop qt4 in their next release.

gtk2 is also fairly close to gone from my system. The only apps still using it on my current desktop are desume, firefox, gitter native, gzdoom, steam, thunderbird, vscode, and qtox.

I did the same as well months ago :-) Since the latest release Plasma-Wayland runs quite stable on my AMDGPU and therefore I tried remove or replace as well applications based on old toolkits. On my Intel notebook Plasma-Wayland has way more glitches. I really hope Firefox will merge soon the Wayland branch and drops GTK2 dependency, didn't use Flash for years!

Besides Firefox I hope for Wayland support in the following applications: SDDM, Virt-Manager, LibreOffice, Telegram, Riot, Wine, Steam.... but yes, except for SDDM they are not based on Qt/KDE frameworks.

Comment

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post

The only reason Firefox still depends on GTK2 (as a build-time dependency, not a runtime one) is for its plugin system (i e stuff like Adobe Flash).
              And Chrome finally switched to GTK3 a month ago or so. Only took 10 years.

Comment

Originally posted by OlafLostViking View Post
                schmidtbag Kopete is still missing, f.ex.. I'm hoping for the best

Comment

Working...
                X