No announcement yet.

Krita 3.2 Released For Leading Open-Source Digital Painting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IIRC -- Gimp development has mostly been in the rendering engine GLES. They need to take a page from Krita's book about organizing a foundation and funding full time development if they want to continue to exist past 2019.

I fully expect that Krita will outdo GIMP in almost every way within a year or two. In some areas it already has lapped them.

Comment

This article inspired me to go look at the gimp 2.9 branch. Oh man there's some good stuff in there. Particularly the remove holes feature mentioned here: https://www.gimp.org/news/2016/07/13...-9-4-released/ Personally I install both Krita and GIMP. I use whatever is useful in the moment, not one tool for all jobs. There is one exception to that, but it's for 3d modelling. Inkscape, Krita and GIMP all serve different purposes, but are all great applications. I also like gnome paint. I just wish it had zoom, resize canvas and a create screenshot feature.
      Last edited by DMJC; 17 August 2017, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DMJC View Post
        This article inspired me to go look at the gimp 2.9 branch. Oh man there's some good stuff in there.
        How have you been able to uncover the "some goot stuff" ? The usage of all the new symbolic icons (that say nothing) require an entire new learning curve for The Gimp 2.9.x.

Comment

To me, Krita 4 will be the interesting one.

Comment

Originally posted by DMJC View Post
            This article inspired me to go look at the gimp 2.9 branch. Oh man there's some good stuff in there. Particularly the remove holes feature mentioned here: https://www.gimp.org/news/2016/07/13...-9-4-released/ Personally I install both Krita and GIMP. I use whatever is useful in the moment, not one tool for all jobs. There is one exception to that, but it's for 3d modelling. Inkscape, Krita and GIMP all serve different purposes, but are all great applications. I also like gnome paint. I just wish it had zoom, resize canvas and a create screenshot feature.
            I like MyPaint and hope its development picks up more, and somehow the GTK+ world builds a clean services structure, ala OS X that allows a smoother workflow between the apps.

Comment

Originally posted by Kver View Post

I'm not a fan of Inkscape right now. I do the Plasma wallpapers and it crashed on me at least a dozen times while trying to make the 5.11 wallpaper, and I've built its horrible memory leaks into my workflow. It's reached ~8GB of memory usage at times. It used to be rock solid; I don't know if it's a result of me stressing the software more, or a degradation in quality control, but it's becoming unusable. It also doesn't save many tool/dock positions, meaning those crashes also mean wasted time re-organizing the window.

I could keep ranting, but, yeah, Inkscape needs serious work. If there were a serious alternative I would take it in a heartbeat.
              Well that's bad. Did you ever try Vectr [1]?
              Afaik it's available as Electron app (not that this makes things better).

[1] https://vectr.com/blog/vectr-launches-ubuntu-snap-app/

Comment

Originally posted by q2dg View Post
                What happenned to Inkscape? It seems it has lost the path...
                The (not so) recent release of inkscape is quite buggy for me, so I even reverted to an older version. I like Inkscape very much but I hope they get things fixed and a few others improved (performance with filters, real GPU acceleration).
                I remember I once donated to Krita, but somehow I never got around to try it. Darn lack of time. But people seem to be fairly satisfied with it.
                *sigh* So many good things to try, so little time.
                Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by theghost View Post

Well that's bad. Did you ever try Vectr [1]?
                  Afaik it's available as Electron app (not that this makes things better).

[1] https://vectr.com/blog/vectr-launches-ubuntu-snap-app/
                  It's nice, but doing a quick once-over it has nowhere near the features required to keep the wallpaper quality where it is. While Inkscape is pretty crippled for my needs because of the issues, it's the de-facto Linux standard for a very good reason. It also manages to fully utilize my CPU and has good performance - I can barely even open the wallpaper files in many other editors.

... Beyond that, I refuse an application that requires sign-ins to online services. I don't get that. It's moronic.
                  Last edited by Kver; 30 September 2017, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X