Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Krita 3.2 Released For Leading Open-Source Digital Painting

Phoronix: Krita 3.2 Released For Leading Open-Source Digital Painting

The Krita project has today announced version 3.2 is ready of their open-source, cross-platform digital painting program...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What happenned to Inkscape? It seems it has lost the path...

Comment

Originally posted by q2dg View Post
      I just asked myself the same about The Gimp... Even Xfce is closer to an "official" Gtk3 release than The Gimp...

Comment

They moved part of their infrastructure to gitlab, to allow developer to contribute easier.
        Guess that took some of the development resources.
        See: https://inkscape.org/en/news/2017/08...-announcement/

Nonetheless, development is active: https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/commits/master

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post

I just asked myself the same about The Gimp... Even Xfce is closer to an "official" Gtk3 release than The Gimp...

I actually stopped using Gimp and use Krita now even for Photo Editing, it has became good enough for most major tasks that I deal with.

Comment

GIMP jumped the shark when they enforced the use of their own file format over other ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Staffan View Post
              GIMP jumped the shark when they enforced the use of their own file format over other ones.
              Sad, i never liked GIMP anyway. its interface is horrible to use...

Comment

The 2.9 devel branch of The Gimp is entirely dark coloured and makes heavy usage of symbolic icons. I just tried it half an hour ago by installing an RPM from COPR on Fedora 26. It's also not possible to maximize its window besides Fullscreen'ing it...

Comment

I used Affinity Photo and Designer in conjunction with Inkscape and Krita. I test Gimp but they've been dragging their feet for over a year on 2.10 so the GTK+ 3 port has been stalled. To their credit a lot of new capabilities have been added to it. Gimp 2.9.6 has been imminent for the past 8 weeks.

Comment

I'm not a fan of Inkscape right now. I do the Plasma wallpapers and it crashed on me at least a dozen times while trying to make the 5.11 wallpaper, and I've built its horrible memory leaks into my workflow. It's reached ~8GB of memory usage at times. It used to be rock solid; I don't know if it's a result of me stressing the software more, or a degradation in quality control, but it's becoming unusable. It also doesn't save many tool/dock positions, meaning those crashes also mean wasted time re-organizing the window.

I could keep ranting, but, yeah, Inkscape needs serious work. If there were a serious alternative I would take it in a heartbeat.

Comment

Working...
                    X