X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clockley1
    replied
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    I have a feeling that no matter what they try to do to make WebUSB secure, it won't work. But, I wish them the best - it could open a lot of potential for web apps without the need of some sort of local backend application.

Good question.
    Why would WebUSB any less secure than WebGL? Unlike GPUs, USB devices cannot access system memory. Making a whole class of exploits moot.

Leave a comment:

• M@GOid
    replied
    Originally posted by carewolf View Post
    Chrome has had WebUSB for a while now. That is how U2FA works. It is a hacky extensions that talks to the USB device over WebUSB, and then provides a U2FA implementation with that.
    Thanks for that. I just got to the flags page and disabled it.

Leave a comment:

• M@GOid
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    This WebUSB thing sounds pretty scary. Imaging malware spreading on some advertising network or CDN, and it uses WebUSB to infect millions of USB devices.
    Writes malware to USB storage devices, and rewrites firmware on webcam, keyboard, mouse, printers, scanners, etc.
    Not only that, but advertisers would love to get access to webcams and their microphones for "marketing purposes".

Leave a comment:

• carewolf
    replied
    Chrome has had WebUSB for a while now. That is how U2FA works. It is a hacky extensions that talks to the USB device over WebUSB, and then provides a U2FA implementation with that.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    This WebUSB thing sounds pretty scary. Imaging malware spreading on some advertising network or CDN, and it uses WebUSB to infect millions of USB devices.
    Writes malware to USB storage devices, and rewrites firmware on webcam, keyboard, mouse, printers, scanners, etc.

Leave a comment:

• R00KIE
    replied
    I'm sure very soon someone will find out that exposing usb devices to the web was not such a good idea, but then how could they know in advance right?

They should stop trying turn the browser into an operating system, instead they could work on fixing small irrelevant things like hardware video decoding acceleration or stuff like that which no one wants to use right now. At least it seems it is being worked on now but lets see how long until we get a stable release with that.

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    I have a feeling that no matter what they try to do to make WebUSB secure, it won't work. But, I wish them the best - it could open a lot of potential for web apps without the need of some sort of local backend application.

Originally posted by Brophen View Post
    Hmm, I wonder if WebUSB would enable something like Synergy for ChromeOS
    Good question.

Leave a comment:

• Brophen
    replied
    Hmm, I wonder if WebUSB would enable something like Synergy for ChromeOS

Leave a comment:

• Chrome 61 Beta Rolls Out With JavaScript Modules, WebUSB Support

Phoronix: Chrome 61 Beta Rolls Out With JavaScript Modules, WebUSB Support

Google today is shipping the beta version of the upcoming Chrome 61 web-browser release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X