KDE Brooklyn Chat Bridge Declared Production-Ready

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post

I know that Telepathy doesn't work, I meant I am very wary of projects that promise this kind of thing, because they could just as well end up an equal trainwreck.

If this, however, is rather a server-side federation tool, my question becomes: what does this have to do with KDE? I mean it's based on Java and so probably doesn't use Qt, it's not a user-visible application … so the only thing I can see connecting this to KDE is the KDE community using it on their infrastructure …
    Hi, I'm the author of Brooklyn. Thank you for the question.
    It is used for KDE projects, especially inside Wikitolearn. For instance you can try that on #wikitolearn (freenode)

Comment

This app sounds cool but I absolutely refuse to have any kind of JRE on any computer I have control over every again. For goodness sake, rewrite it in Qt/QML or it doesn't exist!

Comment

Originally posted by markc View Post
        This app sounds cool but I absolutely refuse to have any kind of JRE on any computer I have control over every again. For goodness sake, rewrite it in Qt/QML or it doesn't exist!
        It isn't a desktop app. C'mon, I wrote that more than 10 times.
        You've just to read what the application is to understand that QML can't be used 'cause there isn't a GUI.

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post

I know that Telepathy doesn't work, I meant I am very wary of projects that promise this kind of thing, because they could just as well end up an equal trainwreck.

If this, however, is rather a server-side federation tool, my question becomes: what does this have to do with KDE? I mean it's based on Java and so probably doesn't use Qt, it's not a user-visible application … so the only thing I can see connecting this to KDE is the KDE community using it on their infrastructure …
          Welcome to Phoronix - if the hive mind determines something is bad, like Java, any mention of it will be treated like the end of days. People won't even care to actually learn what it is used for, mention Java / PHP / C# / etc around here and you get tared and feathered.

Also, nobody reads the comments, they just puke their opinions.

Enjoy your stay

Comment

Remember the old days when first digit was bumped when the API was broken and if the first digit wasn't bumped old code could use it and if the first digit was bumped old code might not be able to use it, the second digit was for new API features, and the third digit was for patches, so you could depend on version x.y with x pinned and at least y, and your package manager would automatically make sure that the latest .y of version x was installed?

Pepperidge Farm remembers

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post

The client source issue was only the few first releases. My bad.
              For open source server, there is XMPP (ie jabber) and e-mail.
              Federation is that I run my own server, and can communicate with other members of the network who are on different servers. Both XMPP and e-mail allow me to do just that.
              When a public "API" is a "feature"of a communications service, I tend to get wary. An API is the bare minimum that should be provided, usually the official clients are crap, and don't integrate well within other systems. (haven't tried telegram, making assumptions from skype, slack and ICQ)

DavideRiva so how does Brooklyn compare to XMPP gateways?
              (Yes, I'm an XMPP fan )
              I can understand where some people might not like using a solution where the server isn't open source. That's fair. My point was that for the mass-marketed messengers that Telegram has done an excellent job in supporting the Linux desktop - moreover with a GPLv3 client. The client is upgraded regularly and the features are on parity with other platforms - Windows, MAC, Android, OSX. I just haven't seen that with other clients. Whatsapp, Facebook, Google, AIM, Yahoo etc. only provide a web interface. It's very rare to see that kind of support for Linux - especially for a popular and full featured messaging program.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                No. The version should be bumped on ANY change (and usually is) as it is supposed to show that the software is now different as it was modified somehow.

Really that's all there is to it. Do a change, bump the version number somehow.
                You know what? for once I *seriously* disagree with you. The Oxford dictionary defines version like so "A particular form of something differing in certain respects from an earlier form or other forms of the same type of thing". A revision means to revise things. Ergo when you revise something enough you will change the fundamental function (or form) in such a way that you may need to bump the version.

If you polish an existing product you are revising it. Example may be adding support for other fileformats, adjusting slightly the GUI, bugfixes, new functionality.
                A version bump would be stuff like changing totally the existing fileformat, remodeling the GUI from scratch, significant new functionality that changes the behavior drastically.

So a version obviously means that something is remade from scratch, a revision means you polish or add something to existing functionality that remains compatible.

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Working...
                X