KDE Brooklyn Chat Bridge Declared Production-Ready

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rene View Post
    why would anyone code something ... in Java? especially in this days and age? not nice to integrate with anything, total alien in the C, C++, Rust or whatever world, … :-/
    fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by gbcox View Post

Well, I haven't tried Telepathy for years, and just searched on how to install and configure it and it is turning into an treasure hunt. So, it isn't well documented for one - and from looking at what is available on it it seems to be a disjointed mess that hasn't been kept up-to-date in a timely manner. You're better off just installing the native Telegram client. It's extremely simple to install, use and is constantly updated and improved.
      Source to client released later than blob, server closed source, no mention of federation. I think I'll pass.

About brooklyn : from what I understand its principle is similar to XMPP gateways. So basically no relation to telepathy.

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post

Source to client released later than blob, server closed source, no mention of federation. I think I'll pass.

About brooklyn : from what I understand its principle is similar to XMPP gateways. So basically no relation to telepathy.
        Huh, what are you talking about? If you're referring to Telegram, the Linux client is qt based, GPLv3 and is published on github. I just upgraded Telegram and the version matches what is on github. As far as the server being closed source I guess you can use Hangouts, Allo, Whatsapp, Facebook Messenger, Duo, Yahoo Messenger, AIM and the list goes on - but those are closed source also - and I have no idea what you mean by "Federation". My point was that it's kinda senseless to use Telepathy or Brooklyn for Telegram, especially in KDE. The Telegram desktop client for Linux is qt based, open source and kept current. How many commercial messengers do you know that take the time to create, maintain and keep current a Linux Desktop Client? Let alone one that is GPLv3 and the source is kept current and maintained on github.
        Last edited by gbcox; 08 August 2017, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          versioning nazi detected.

Really, it's just a number. There is no rule that states that version 1.0 means the software is stable.
          You know what? Here is another one.
          to make things simpler things should be simple. Ergo before something have reached the first version it has to be a version in progress right? When you have the first version you do revisions to that with the intent to improve that version. Therefore you increase the revision number. If you change things enough that the darn thing is very different to the first version you bump the version number.

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Im also stumbling over the Java part.
            KDE neon doesn't even have a Java runtime installed by default. I just installed Eclipse the other day and noticed that i had to install the JDK.

Sounds weird.
            Last edited by pracedru; 08 August 2017, 03:49 PM.

Comment

KDE is sooo overpriced. Who can afford this stuff besides rich people? If it doesn't run on my Nintendo DS, I'm not even interested in using it.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                versioning nazi detected.

Really, it's just a number. There is no rule that states that version 1.0 means the software is stable.
                That may be true but it is common sense and socially infered that 1.0 is synonamous with completeness or production readiness.

Im glad proof lf concept is doing great but I cant imagine Java will go over well in the KDE world as sampled on this thread.

Comment

Floating point versioning schemes are for dunces and animals. Fractional version numbers are where the industry is heading. Version three eighths (3/8). Version seven sixteenths (7/16). Version Forty Halves (40/2). See how much more logical this is?

Comment

I imagine the real reason it was developed in Java is that that's what most comp sci students tend to be brought up on and at his level he probably wasn't comfortable branching out into other languages. I agree it should be rewritten in something else, but it's important to remember these are students.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
                      That may be true but it is common sense and socially infered that 1.0 is synonamous with completeness or production readiness.
                      Dangerous nonsense. Software developers use numbers however they please, some are even using date-based revision numbers or github commit hash.

The number should NOT be given any stableness meaning because it usually does not have any (unless that project's developers claim otherwise, anyway). It's only use is keeping track of changes, so to tell people that v1 is older of v2 at a glance.
                      Last edited by starshipeleven; 08 August 2017, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X