The State Of KDE Plasma For Summer 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    If your PC runs fine and applications load at a normal pace once fully booted, this is what gets me to suspect you have a bunch of other crap installed that is run during the boot process.
    I have some rather heavy stuff starting up at that point (Kmal2 and Firefox for example). But even with tall that, it should not be so ridiculously long. And I suppose Plasma should prioritize starting the shell first, and it doesn't. I'll try making sure nothing else runs, to measure the time difference.

Comment

I just run various benchmarks with fio and ioping, and my hard drive performance is within norm. I switched off baloo - that didn't really help anything. Even for a brand new users, KDE log-in takes around 70 seconds (already second time). So something is really messed up with that Plasma version.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
        I just run various benchmarks with fio and ioping, and my hard drive performance is within norm. I switched off baloo - that didn't really help anything. Even for a brand new users, KDE log-in takes around 70 seconds (already second time). So something is really messed up with that Plasma version.
        Weird. You said you're using Debian, right? I wonder if that has something to do with it. I wouldn't use Debian with KDE anyway - they seem to do a relatively poor job at maintaining it. I'm not necessarily ridiculing Debian here, it just that they have different priorities than KDE and they don't clash well.

Not sure what else to tell you. XFS seems to stick out like a sore thumb to me but I can't imagine that'd be the cause. KDE has never been that slow for me.

Comment

Yeah, Debian is slowish with updating it. I might simply buy an SSD to work around this horrendous bug

Comment

Working...
          X