Adobe Is Finally Ending Flash Support... In 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
    With r600g driver and chromium-vaapiᴬᵁᴿ HTML5 videos are very well accelerated.
    Ok, correction: with one browser and two architectures (VLI4/VLI5) out of very many, there is acceleration.

Comment

Originally posted by grok View Post
      Not too long ago I looked for flash games and found one that very obviously ran the doom engine (some simple military themed shooter) and it was 100% fast and smooth even on Flash on an aging PC.
      Doom used to work on pretty low end machines (386SX). Even Raspberry Pi is probably thousands of times faster than that.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Ok, correction: with one browser and two architectures (VLI4/VLI5) out of very many, there is acceleration.
        Actually, not VLI4/VLI5, but any GPU supporting VAAPI, i.e. Intel ones, and the Gallium which covers r300, r600, radeonsi, and NVidia GPUs via Nouveau (don't know the generations, but I think the list is big too). That is a majority of GPUs in use.

On the other hand are you sure Flash still have video acceleration? I'm asking because as we know they've updated it, this is the officially recommended version at https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ , and they didn't implement some things. And I couldn't find neither confirmation nor rebuttal of whether video acc. is still working.

Comment

I do understand that firefox wants the rendering engine to draw everything the same way.... But if after 7 years they still aren't willing to put in the work to make it function properly with vaapi, then they need to offload video decode to ffmpeg so that it can use its video acceleration options instead. It'd be a whole lot easier.
          Last edited by duby229; 26 July 2017, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zucca View Post
            What about newgrounds.com ? :P
            I guess someone have to get Shumway into working state.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
              Surprising that so few mention it here: HTML5 VIDEOS ARE NOT ACCELERATED AT ALL ON LINUX. Only Flash videos are. There, think about it.
              Flash isn't either, unless you tweak some settings. Even then, it's very unstable and unsuitable for everyday use.

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
                You're definitely overestimating Adobe's value. I can't imagine a single their product I would need myself. There's a GIMP in which I am well versed, Okular which supports far more formats than Adobe Reader, HTML5 in favor of which even Adobe themselves are dropping Flash.
                Most professionals will agree that GIMP is insufficient. Adobe caters to professionals, not hobbyists or amateurs. Meanwhile, Okular doesn't support all the features that the Adobe Reader has (off the top of my head, some security features involving passwords).
                Note I personally use both GIMP and Okular (or other PDF viewers) over either Adobe products; always have and probably always will. But that doesn't change the fact that I know people, both in person and who I met online, who said the only thing holding them back is something like Photoshop.

In this case, there's always WINE around. Whilst not as good as native, but enough to satisfy someone wanting to use both GNU/Linux and an Adobe's product.
                Wine doesn't work with most Adobe products. Usually by the time it does, the product is outdated.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                  I do understand that firefox wants the rendering engine to draw everything the same way.... But if after 7 years they still aren't willing to put in the work to make it function properly with vaapi, then they need to offload video decode to ffmpeg so that it can use its video acceleration options instead. It'd be a whole lot easier.
                  It's not decoding the video that's the problem for browsers. It's rendering the video into the web page. ffmpeg won't do that for you. Firefox doesn't even enable OpenGL layers by default yet, they need to get that stable and enabled by default, only then can they start working on adding hardware decoded surfaces to the whole thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
                    It's not decoding the video that's the problem for browsers. It's rendering the video into the web page. ffmpeg won't do that for you. Firefox doesn't even enable OpenGL layers by default yet, they need to get that stable and enabled by default, only then can they start working on adding hardware decoded surfaces to the whole thing.
                    What can I say to that except, get'er dun!

Comment

Originally posted by Duve View Post

This is one of those things that are best left dead and buried. Anyways Adobe as sort of beat you to that, just about everything that made Flash unique has either been pushed into standardization (ActionScript) or has been completely replaced with web based equivalents.
                      but muh old newgrounds games. The only thing I ask for is support up to flash 10/11.

Comment

Working...
                      X