No announcement yet.

Rust-Written "Stylo" Servo Style System Now Available Via Firefox Nightly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I run Firefox-nightly and rendering feels faster with layout.css.servo.enabled. Together with the multi process architecture this is really a big improvement :-) If I could run Firefox now on Wayland I would be happy (even if it doesn't work perfect, I know there are some test builds but that's nothing I would use).

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
      and when it's finally added, but have to put in extra effort to activate it.
      Firefox Nightly is for beta testing, btw.

Comment

For what it's worth, I've been using Firefox at home and Chrome for work for the last seven years. No matter what the benchmarks said, Chrome felt substantially faster. But in the last few months Firefox Nightly has finally started narrowing the gap.

It still seems to slow down after being open for a few days, which is a disappointment.

Comment

I just turned it on and it really is FASTER!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Unfortunately Firefox does not yet support the <dialog> element.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Rust actually uses LLVM to compile machine code, so whatever platforms LLVM can compile to should at least theoretically work.
              Any news about Rust development in GCC?

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

Any news about Rust development in GCC?
                A quick google search found this ml thread. https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/r...er/007153.html It seems to be one guys experiment, but who knows, maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  Unfortunately Firefox does not yet support the <dialog> element.
                  Nothing, but blink supports <dialog> atm. Firefox also has support, but you have to enable it: http://caniuse.com/#feat=dialog

May I ask what is it you can't do because FF doesn't enable that out of the box?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Nothing, but blink supports <dialog> atm. Firefox also has support, but you have to enable it: http://caniuse.com/#feat=dialog

May I ask what is it you can't do because FF doesn't enable that out of the box?
                    As a web developer I come across nice features which would make things easy for me, but then I can't use them because they don't work in Firefox.
                    It would be really handy to use the <dialog> element it is so simple. But I can't because Firefox doesn't support it, which makes it boring and tedious for me as a web developer.
                    Also Firefox didn't support input type date, but they finally are adding support for it in Firefox 55.
                    I think Chrome has better developer tooling support for Server-Sent Events (SSE) though, and perhaps WebSockets.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

As a web developer I come across nice features which would make things easy for me, but then I can't use them because they don't work in Firefox.
                      It would be really handy to use the <dialog> element it is so simple. But I can't because Firefox doesn't support it, which makes it boring and tedious for me as a web developer.
                      Also Firefox didn't support input type date, but they finally are adding support for it in Firefox 55.
                      I think Chrome has better developer tooling support for Server-Sent Events (SSE) though, and perhaps WebSockets.
                      And much happier would you be if FF had support for dialog (out of the box, because the support is there already) if it still won't work on Mac or iOS?
                      Don't get me wrong, as a developer I know how crappy it is when you stumble upon a little gem only to have caniuse tell you "no, you can't". And I'd also say having a workable dialog is even more important than the support for time/date. But in this case it seems you're just lashing out at FF for no good reason.

Comment

Working...
                      X