Rust-Written "Stylo" Servo Style System Now Available Via Firefox Nightly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rust-Written "Stylo" Servo Style System Now Available Via Firefox Nightly

Phoronix: Rust-Written "Stylo" Servo Style System Now Available Via Firefox Nightly

Stylo, the new style system written for Servo in the Rust programming language, can be enabled in the latest Firefox Nightly desktop builds...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is it just me, or is anyone else getting the same kind of feeling about Firefoxs' adoption of Rust-using parts as they got when looking at the tail end of the disaster that was Canonical's convergence plans?

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
      Is it just me, or is anyone else getting the same kind of feeling about Firefoxs' adoption of Rust-using parts as they got when looking at the tail end of the disaster that was Canonical's convergence plans?
      That is absolutely just you.

Comment

As opposed to the saner approach, which is?

Comment

I honestly don't see any connection whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by abral View Post
            But, but … somebody is coming up with new technology! It must suck, right?
            --Haters in the open source community in a nutshell.

Comment

They should have used COBOL or PHP instead. Or maybe Python 2 (using language parts that would not work with Python 3).

Comment

Originally posted by abral View Post
                Supposed to be a huge upgrade, years and years of development with very little publicly visible progress, people talking about how it's a stupid solution and when it's finally added, but have to put in extra effort to activate it. The only thing that's missing is the Mozilla people canceling it before it's made standard.

Comment

Supposed to be a huge upgrade, years and years of development with very little publicly visible progress, people talking about how it's a stupid solution and when it's finally added, but have to put in extra effort to activate it. The only thing that's missing is the Mozilla people canceling it before it's made standard.
                  There's at least once significant difference here:
                  Canonical has a dismal history of in-house new development projects succeeding while Mozilla has many years of experience with a substantial codebase, keeping it apace of modern web standards, at least one major rewrite already (the gecko rendering engine), on top of general maintenance and incremental improvements.

Comment

> Supposed to be a huge upgrade,

They are about some fundamental refactors (code that does A and afterwards still effectively does A but differently), but the upgrade itself is probably not going to be that big.

> years and years of development with very little publicly visible progress,

I think the stylo work is hardly a few years old.

If you're talking about Rust, than you won't have seen a lot of progress in the mainstream tech media. But there have been numerous announcements, progress updates and interesting tidbits in the more programming language centric media. It's also seen a reasonable uptake by some noteworthy projects and other companies, especially for such a young language (counted since it's 1.0 release).

> people talking about how it's a stupid solution

I haven't heard anybody really complain about the solution. Sure some people have reservations and some of the other changes (not related to Quantum itself, but around extension and plugin support) have drawn a some ire from people, but that has nothing to do with these changes directly.

> and when it's finally added, but have to put in extra effort to activate it.

Err, nope. For most users this should be a seamless feature rollout. It might be that it will be gradually activated, like the e10s changes, and that you can manually opt-in before hand, but that's not required nor recommended.

> The only thing that's missing is the Mozilla people canceling it before it's made standard.

How can something be made a standard if it's an internal part of 1 project that doesn't change it's functionality?

Comment

Working...
                    X