GNOME's Mutter Flips On Its New Monitor Config Manager By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Gnome3 is so shit that users do not know what is the difference between gpu monitor outputs and separate gpus.
    Not sure why I'm even dignifying this with a response, but the article does state "as it seeks to improve the multi-monitor and multi-GPU experience." and I was stating that my multi-monitor is working quite nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post

Uhh? Are you referring to hardware passthrough like talked about on r/VFIO? This would have nothing to do about that, you also don't need 2 GPU for it. I was asking if the feature with mutter is intended for something like running a single Gnome session on two separate GPUs at once where both GPU output a desktop.

Other than that I don't quite understand what was meant by multi-gpu support, maybe hybrid graphics switching since that's something Redhat has been focusing on with Fedora/Gnome to be more seamless experience. Using low power iGPU for display and a dGPU(headless) for applications/games that need the extra oomph that bumblebee has been doing with an additional x server in the past.

What do you mean technically? How do you go about that now? Far as I understood desktop session display was only output to a single GPU and it's monitors. I know of things like bumblebee but the dGPU runs a 2nd x server headless and forwards the display renders to the GPU outputting the display for the desktop. On a laptop dGPUs tend to not be like a desktop and their output is routed to iGPU framebuffer. See my prior response to quote above about how the multi-gpu support is probably intended to be used.

You're not going to use KDE because of a bad HiDPI experience? That's still something being worked out across DEs isn't it? Sure Gnome seems to be in the lead at the moment I guess? Hasn't it for quite some time had an issue with integer only scaling(1x 2x 4x, no 1.5x 2.3x etc)? That's caused issues for quite a few people, I think floating point scaling is arriving in the next release though? It's great that it's working well for you though without that. KDE will no doubt get good support too, far as I understood it's already there with 5.10, not sure if it's enabled, something to do with settings and waiting on Qt I think.

Qt issues will no doubt be resolved without GTK devs having to do anything about it. On KDE side of things, GTK apps often have problems integrating into other DEs that aren't built primarily for GTK like Gnome as the GTK devs are against KDE devs contributing code to support other platforms. That lack of support is unfortunate since I really like KDE over my Gnome experience.

Maybe I interpreted the BIOS configuration wrong, but I could have sworn there was a setting in there that said it supported multi-gpu mixing. Never tried it myself since I have plenty of outputs on my GTX 1080.

I'm not using KDE because I don't really like it. It's been a while since I used it, but I haven't been fond of KDE since before 1.0 was released, it was too 'windows' for me. Funny thing is, it was Windows 7-ish before Windows 7! Funny thing about Gnome's HiDPI support is that while it does work, you're right it doesn't have finer controls, but then again the controls are only available under TweakUI anyhow. So not sure how 'official' that is.

I think the problem with the mix of Qt and GTK at this point (at least under Gnome, maybe it works better from the opposite direction) is that they don't hook into what Gnome is trying to do with the resolution. So when flipping on/off screens and moving around, it gets confused. I really only use two Qt based programs on a daily basis, oddly enough both chat programs...

Comment

Originally posted by bkor View Post

That already is possible in 2.24 when you use Wayland.
        How? I'm running Fedora 26 on wayland right now.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

I am not sorry when I express an opinion of your holy gnome3. Religious, low educated and personal disorder people takes it personally.
          Well, I'm not even using GNOME 3, I'm mostly using Budgie and i3 (though I have used GNOME 3 in the past and maybe again in the future). I just think that the way you express your feelings towards GNOME 3 is not right. At least try to educate yourself about features and MORE IMPORTANTLY: try to *at least* express opinions in a calm, discussable way.

Comment

Not to be rude or anything, but guys: please note that this is about GNOME 3, *not* GNOME 2. I'm saying this because I see a few people talking about "2.24" and "2.26".

Comment

Ha, I'm trying to remember, didn't they stop at 2.28 for Gnome 2? Which would mean Gnome 3 is getting close to having as many releases, time flies... Granted I have been using Gnome since it was first packaged in Debian (0.22/0.24?)

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
                Not to be rude or anything, but guys: please note that this is about GNOME 3, *not* GNOME 2. I'm saying this because I see a few people talking about "2.24" and "2.26".
                It's not needed to get upset over an obvious typo.

Comment

Originally posted by bkor View Post

It's not needed to get upset over an obvious typo.
                  I'm not upset and I wouldn't have posted this if only one person made the typo. But a few people made the typo, so I just wanted to give a heads-up, nothing more, nothing less.

Comment

Originally posted by leech View Post

Maybe I interpreted the BIOS configuration wrong, but I could have sworn there was a setting in there that said it supported multi-gpu mixing. Never tried it myself since I have plenty of outputs on my GTX 1080.

I'm not using KDE because I don't really like it. It's been a while since I used it, but I haven't been fond of KDE since before 1.0 was released, it was too 'windows' for me. Funny thing is, it was Windows 7-ish before Windows 7! Funny thing about Gnome's HiDPI support is that while it does work, you're right it doesn't have finer controls, but then again the controls are only available under TweakUI anyhow. So not sure how 'official' that is.

I think the problem with the mix of Qt and GTK at this point (at least under Gnome, maybe it works better from the opposite direction) is that they don't hook into what Gnome is trying to do with the resolution. So when flipping on/off screens and moving around, it gets confused. I really only use two Qt based programs on a daily basis, oddly enough both chat programs...
                    I've not seen such a BIOS setting before. Maybe it's a feature on a premium motherboard? I have a setting that will allow the iGPU to be enabled even if I have a dGPU installed in my desktop, perhaps it's similar to that. It doesn't allow both to output to displays for the same OS session though.

KDE is pretty flexible, can look like macOS too. Not sure what sort of design differences you'd have with Gnome, other than the client side decoratoins which is understandable if you prefer that.

I doubt it'd work any better in the opposite direction, just give it a bit more time, Qt is likely to resolve the issues soon I'd think. openSUSE is pushing for a quality LTS release of KDE for early 2018.

Comment

Different scalings for different monitors are available in today's gnome 3.24 (please excuse my previous typo), however only integer scalings are possible. They are automatically activated if the display is above a certain DPI. A standard 28" 4k screen isn't, my 12" laptop is.

Gnome 3 26 is supposed to allow non integer scales and thus, the DPI threshold is most likely more flexible.

Comment

Working...
                      X