Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

System76 Might Make Their Own OS Installer, Will Ship Automatic Firmware Updates

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • System76 Might Make Their Own OS Installer, Will Ship Automatic Firmware Updates

    Phoronix: System76 Might Make Their Own OS Installer, Will Ship Automatic Firmware Updates

    Linux laptop vendor System76 has provided a status update on their activities around their Pop!_OS Linux distribution...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ler-FW-Updates

  • #2
    I couldn't care less for the OS. I'd install something else anyway.

    Now, what really interests me is to know if they'll be providing laptops with AMD parts as well. I'm specifically referring to Raven Ridge here, but optional Vega discrete cards would be nice as well.

    Comment


    • #3
      Can I ask? Why the underscore in the name?

      Originally posted by franglais125 View Post
      Now, what really interests me is to know if they'll be providing laptops with AMD parts as well. I'm specifically referring to Raven Ridge here, but optional Vega discrete cards would be nice as well.
      If they do, I hope the OS has the DC patches installed by default. Then it'll be something.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        If they do, I hope the OS has the DC patches installed by default. Then it'll be something.
        Heh, you are right!

        Comment


        • #5
          On the other hand, it doesn't surprise me that they can simplify the installer if they control the hardware (or do QA on the target hardware anyway).

          Comment


          • #6
            If they do, I hope the OS has the DC patches installed by default. Then it'll be something.
            Why would you ship a laptop with a the stock kernel can't even render to the discrete GPU? Vega needs DC for everything.

            At that, considering Vega is a ~300w chip, that probably won't fit comfortably in a notebook without hot swappable dry ice every 10 minutes.

            Comment


            • #7
              They didn't consider Calamares? I feel this approach is not going to end well...

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
                They didn't consider Calamares? I feel this approach is not going to end well...
                It was the first thing to cross my mind, what about calamares...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by franglais125 View Post
                  I couldn't care less for the OS. I'd install something else anyway.

                  Now, what really interests me is to know if they'll be providing laptops with AMD parts as well. I'm specifically referring to Raven Ridge here, but optional Vega discrete cards would be nice as well.
                  I don't think they're trying to reinvent the wheel as much as they need something they can offer support for. I mean, they've been offering support so far and they've probably learned of a few sore points they can smooth out. Power users will be power users (you can't please those no matter what), but if you can make it more approachable for regular users (or less costlier to support, because you've got your own diagnosis tool in there or whatever), they have to take a stab at it.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                    If they do, I hope the OS has the DC patches installed by default. Then it'll be something.
                    There is no reason for them to have DC in their kernel.
                    It's not like you can add a AMD card to their Intel+NVIDIA laptops (and they sell any meaningful quantities of desktops) anyway.


                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X