The KDE Components Not Yet Ported To KDE Frameworks 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cfeck View Post
    kdesvn has been ported to KF5. Maybe use a distribution that does not ship outdated software?
    Whoops! You're right, thx!

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
      The whole transition to KDE4 (and then KF5) was fucked up beyond repair. A lot of applications, which haven't been ported to KF5 yet, have a lot of KDE3 compatibility code. And right now I have no desire to run KDE5 because both TDE and KDE 3.5.10 are overall much better desktop environments: leaner, faster, more convenient, more configurable (a lot of features of KDE3 have never made it to KDE4/Plasma) and just better.

Dozens of people asked to make it possible to make kicker transparent for the past 6 years - KDE devs said "use appropriate themes". Meanwhile they've broken Plasma theming so many times even the core KDE themes have bugs and glitches and 3d party ones are no longer created for KDE because people got fed up. In short you cannot get this feature any more even though Qt4/Qt5 made it trivial to implement transparency even without using compositing.

In KRunner for KDE3 you could enter math expressions and hit Enter, e.g. "2+2 <Enter>" and get a result. This feature never made it to KDE4 and in KDE5 it required to enter the equal sign at the end which is totally inconvenient.

I could list such examples for hours. KDE 3.5.10 was stripped to the bones, a lot of apps were never ported, the kde-apps website was killed (and old KDE3 applications are nowhere to be found any longer) - what a fine way to alienate your whole audience. Well done, KDE team, well done.

Where can I find KSensors for KDE5? Or KNetStats? No, I don't need lousy Plasma applets cause I don't want to minimize my running applications just to see network activity for every network interface. Only half a year ago KDE devs finally allowed to use the Date/Time applet to copy different date formats to the clipboard, yet they were lazy to add all the formats which exist in KDE 3.5. For three years they killed the ability to see the icons of XEmbed applications.
      there seems to be a little bit of conflict to what you say here, you say that kde3 was leaner, but then go on about all the missing features - which would make that extra bloat?

while I only switched to KDE plasma a year ago, I have not found myself missing any of these features

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
        Oh well, the theme customization is split all over the place in systemsettings, and missing some features. Maybe I could have a look at the code, though.
        This would be my only complaint too, but, there are draw backs to any organisational system

Comment

... And right now I have no desire to run KDE5 because both TDE and KDE 3.5.10 are overall much better desktop environments: leaner, faster, more convenient, more configurable (a lot of features of KDE3 have never made it to KDE4/Plasma) and just better...
          A question for you, have you given plasma a decent go recently?

while I understand the desire to not have to go through the pain of getting used to a new DE, it might not be as painful as you think it will be.

Comment

The whole transition to KDE4 (and then KF5) was fucked up beyond repair. A lot of applications, which haven't been ported to KF5 yet, have a lot of KDE3 compatibility code. And right now I have no desire to run KDE5 because both TDE and KDE 3.5.10 are overall much better desktop environments: leaner, faster, more convenient, more configurable (a lot of features of KDE3 have never made it to KDE4/Plasma) and just better.

Dozens of people asked to make it possible to make kicker transparent for the past 6 years - KDE devs said "use appropriate themes". Meanwhile they've broken Plasma theming so many times even the core KDE themes have bugs and glitches and 3d party ones are no longer created for KDE because people got fed up. In short you cannot get this feature any more even though Qt4/Qt5 made it trivial to implement transparency even without using compositing.
            I agree about TDE, but is it really true that KDE devs broke theming so many times? 'Cause everyone's always bashing GNOME devs for breaking theming constantly...

Comment

Reading the comments I understand why I never liked Kde 3 and 4 but I love Plasma 5 that I find fantastic and clean. Congratulations to the developers ... great work.

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post

there seems to be a little bit of conflict to what you say here, you say that kde3 was leaner, but then go on about all the missing features - which would make that extra bloat?

while I only switched to KDE plasma a year ago, I have not found myself missing any of these features
                He means that KDE3 and currently TDE have more features and at the same are much leaner and faster. I can confirm that.

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post

A question for you, have you given plasma a decent go recently?

while I understand the desire to not have to go through the pain of getting used to a new DE, it might not be as painful as you think it will be.
                  Why? TDE works fine and is well-supported. No need for him to switch to Plasma.

Comment

Reading the comments I understand why I never liked Kde 3 and 4 but I love Plasma 5 that I find fantastic and clean. Congratulations to the developers ... great work.

Comment

In this week's amazing episode of birdie lies about things we bring you birdie lying about KDE.

The whole transition to KDE4 (and then KF5) was fucked up beyond repair.
                      Except that it wasn't. because *gasp* they made it both times, and after KDE SC 4.4-4.6 it was in a production state (the bugs were mostly squashed by 4.4 but it was gaining speedups till 4.6 IIRC). The switch to KF5/KDE Applications/Plasma 5 it came and it worked.
                      A lot of applications, which haven't been ported to KF5 yet, have a lot of KDE3 compatibility code.
                      I'm going to take this poorly written sentence to mean that there are still applications which are based on KDE3, rather than having been ported. It is true that such applications exist, however there are not a lot of them, and the reason they exist is because they are unmaintained. nobody really has any interest in porting the Frotz frontend for example.
                      And right now I have no desire to run KDE5 because both TDE and KDE 3.5.10 are overall much better desktop environments: leaner, faster, more convenient, more configurable (a lot of features of KDE3 have never made it to KDE4/Plasma) and just better.
                      You're entitled to your opinion

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...E_Plasma_5.png

What's that... could it *gasp* be... Transparency?

also you're a liar This theme https://www.opendesktop.org/p/998879/ which was originally for KDE SC 4 and last updated in 2010 still works in Plasma 5 and not once did it ever break for me in KDE SC 4

In KRunner for KDE3 you could enter math expressions and hit Enter, e.g. "2+2 <Enter>" and get a result. This feature never made it to KDE4 and in KDE5 it required to enter the equal sign at the end which is totally inconvenient.
                      Again Lies... This worked in 4, it works in 5 I just did it.

I could list such examples for hours. KDE 3.5.10 was stripped to the bones, a lot of apps were never ported, the kde-apps website was killed (and old KDE3 applications are nowhere to be found any longer) - what a fine way to alienate your whole audience. Well done, KDE team, well done.
                      could it be that *GASP* they moved over to opendesktop.org? no that can't be it.. this can't exist https://www.opendesktop.org/browse/cat/380/ord/latest/
                      Where can I find KSensors for KDE5? Or KNetStats? No, I don't need lousy Plasma applets cause I don't want to minimize my running applications just to see network activity for every network interface.
                      *shock gasp horror* they made a new application for it compared to KDE SC 3 called Ksysguard which was also in KDE SC 4... like OMG
                      Only half a year ago KDE devs finally allowed to use the Date/Time applet to copy different date formats to the clipboard, yet they were lazy to add all the formats which exist in KDE 3.5.
                      Never used this so I'll give you a pass on how true this is

For three years they killed the ability to see the icons of XEmbed applications.
                      Half True... they broke it, but It wasn't 3 years though, Plasma 5 has only been around for a whole 3 years, and they fixed it for 5.5 http://blog.davidedmundson.co.uk/blog/xembed_back which meant a year and a half ... but you have crack some eggs to make an omlet, and you got the feature back fairly quickly after the regression from KDE SC 4.x... what is the problem?
                      Last edited by Luke_Wolf; 15 July 2017, 06:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X