Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The KDE Components Not Yet Ported To KDE Frameworks 5

Phoronix: The KDE Components Not Yet Ported To KDE Frameworks 5

With the beta of KDE Applications 17.08 due next week, which is the last cycle where Qt4/kdelibs4-dependent components are still permitted, KDE developer Christoph Feck has generated a list of KDE software not yet ported over to Qt5/KF5...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

kdesvn is an important tool for us in the company. Sad, that it's still not ported to KDE 5. Maybe it never will be...

Comment

kdesvn has been ported to KF5. Maybe use a distribution that does not ship outdated software?

Comment

Well 17.08 brings a lot of kde games ports. 9 out of 12 unported kde games will now have kf5 versions.

Comment

So cute, a table with no headers....

Comment

The whole transition to KDE4 (and then KF5) was fucked up beyond repair. A lot of applications, which haven't been ported to KF5 yet, have a lot of KDE3 compatibility code. And right now I have no desire to run KDE5 because both TDE and KDE 3.5.10 are overall much better desktop environments: leaner, faster, more convenient, more configurable (a lot of features of KDE3 have never made it to KDE4/Plasma) and just better.

Dozens of people asked to make it possible to make kicker transparent for the past 6 years - KDE devs said "use appropriate themes". Meanwhile they've broken Plasma theming so many times even the core KDE themes have bugs and glitches and 3d party ones are no longer created for KDE because people got fed up. In short you cannot get this feature any more even though Qt4/Qt5 made it trivial to implement transparency even without using compositing.

In KRunner for KDE3 you could enter math expressions and hit Enter, e.g. "2+2 <Enter>" and get a result. This feature never made it to KDE4 and in KDE5 it required to enter the equal sign at the end which is totally inconvenient.

I could list such examples for hours. KDE 3.5.10 was stripped to the bones, a lot of apps were never ported, the kde-apps website was killed (and old KDE3 applications are nowhere to be found any longer) - what a fine way to alienate your whole audience. Well done, KDE team, well done.

Where can I find KSensors for KDE5? Or KNetStats? No, I don't need lousy Plasma applets cause I don't want to minimize my running applications just to see network activity for every network interface. Only half a year ago KDE devs finally allowed to use the Date/Time applet to copy different date formats to the clipboard, yet they were lazy to add all the formats which exist in KDE 3.5. For three years they killed the ability to see the icons of XEmbed applications.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
              So cute, a table with no headers....
              Mouse hover the items - they all have hints.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                For three years they killed the ability to see the icons of XEmbed applications.
                Really. I guess I'm glad to still be on Kubuntu 14.04 LTS then. I've still got apps using XEmbed icons, either because they don't support anything else or because the alternative option is based on libappindicator, which means that left-click pulls up the context menu rather than toggling window visibility.

Comment

In KRunner for KDE3 you could enter math expressions and hit Enter, e.g. "2+2 <Enter>" and get a result. This feature never made it to KDE4 and in KDE5 it required to enter the equal sign at the end which is totally inconvenient.
                  Wth dude, you don't even have to type enter. It's also pluggable so it can search through your bookmarks, emails and whatnot, a feature I don't remember KDE3 having (then again, I wasn't too big on the Linux desktop at the time).

Comment

The whole transition to KDE4 (and then KF5) was fucked up beyond repair. A lot of applications, which haven't been ported to KF5 yet, have a lot of KDE3 compatibility code. And right now I have no desire to run KDE5 because both TDE and KDE 3.5.10 are overall much better desktop environments: leaner, faster, more convenient, more configurable (a lot of features of KDE3 have never made it to KDE4/Plasma) and just better.

Dozens of people asked to make it possible to make kicker transparent for the past 6 years - KDE devs said "use appropriate themes". Meanwhile they've broken Plasma theming so many times even the core KDE themes have bugs and glitches and 3d party ones are no longer created for KDE because people got fed up. In short you cannot get this feature any more even though Qt4/Qt5 made it trivial to implement transparency even without using compositing.

I could list such examples for hours. KDE 3.5.10 was stripped to the bones, a lot of apps were never ported, the kde-apps website was killed (and old KDE3 applications are nowhere to be found any longer) - what a fine way to alienate your whole audience. Well done, KDE team, well done.

Where can I find KSensors for KDE5? Or KNetStats? No, I don't need lousy Plasma applets cause I don't want to minimize my running applications just to see network activity for every network interface. Only half a year ago KDE devs finally allowed to use the Date/Time applet to copy different date formats to the clipboard, yet they were lazy to add all the formats which exist in KDE 3.5. For three years they killed the ability to see the icons of XEmbed applications.
                    While I agree with the majority, it's not all that bad.
                    A few tips, though:
                    No need for inputting an equal sign, nor to press enter, the result is displayed as soon as krunner detects a mathematical expression, in my experience. That can be a bit tricky, though. I sometimes have to press backspace, or start with an equal to make it quicker. I agree krunner could be made better. To me, it seems everything with it is synchronous and single threaded.

Not sure about the sensors bit, but you can add tabs, graphs, etc with pretty much any sensor of the system to ksysguard.

I miss my transparent status bar, though. With KDE4 there was a transparent oxygen theme.

Oh well, the theme customization is split all over the place in systemsettings, and missing some features. Maybe I could have a look at the code, though.

Mouse hover the items - they all have hints.
                    I am on mobile...

Comment

Working...
                    X