GStreamer Could Be The First Multimedia Framework Supporting RTSP 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GStreamer Could Be The First Multimedia Framework Supporting RTSP 2.0

Phoronix: GStreamer Could Be The First Multimedia Framework Supporting RTSP 2.0

Patches are pending for GStreamer that provide the first public client and server implementation of the RTSP 2.0 protocol, Real Time Streaming Protocol 2.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It is kind of scary you go to a website and then the website fires up a video and it gets loaded by FFmpeg or GStreamer and it attempt to load any of dozens or hundreds different codecs. Kind of scary if any of those contain exploits.

I would like to see decoders written in Rust so it can be safe. Also run in sandbox or something.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      I would like to see decoders written in Rust so it can be safe.
      Michael should grant you the title "Official Rust Fanboy"...

Comment

tildearrow but he has a point. rust would be a nice decision for something like this. Even oracle use rust now for new from them, railcar.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          It is kind of scary you go to a website and then the website fires up a video and it gets loaded by FFmpeg or GStreamer and it attempt to load any of dozens or hundreds different codecs. Kind of scary if any of those contain exploits.

I would like to see decoders written in Rust so it can be safe. Also run in sandbox or something.
          At least Mozilla have started porting decoders to Rust, for example https://github.com/mozilla/mp4parse-rust which now ships in Firefox.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
            tildearrow but he has a point. rust would be a nice decision for something like this. Even oracle use rust now for new from them, railcar.
            I know it has advantages. I didn't say "Rust sucks".

Comment

uid313 33 days until Firefox 55 with <input> date and time.

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post
                uid313 33 days until Firefox 55 with <input> date and time.
                But will it run on Wayland?

Comment

Originally posted by Krejzi View Post
                  But will it run on Wayland?
                  Work for that is still underway https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=635134

Comment

Nothing against Rust, but until ffmpeg and mplayer are both ported to it. Meh. That project easily has the largest range of codec support of any multimedia project out there. I wish whoever tries to rewrite it the best of luck.

Comment

Working...
                    X