KDE Plasma 5.10.3 Fixes Longstanding NVIDIA VT/Suspend Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blacknova View Post
    It is not like KDE is the only desktop that suffer from that issue. Mine laptop with nvidia's card and GNOME has this as well, animated up arrow on greeter screen is corrupted.
    If you use Viber messanger it's window is corrupted as well.
    Still could be a software or hardware issue. Things you may try to get a cleaner idea of the culprit:

1. Try an older driver.
    2. If possible use official NVidia binaries (not distro repacked ones).
    3. Try noveau.
    4. Try another distribution, and avoid derivatives. Ex. If you use Ubuntu, then don't use Mint or Debian as second tests. This is to prevent derivative distro bugs.
    5. Try an older distro release, if release based.
    6. Try Windows?

If you have a Windows license, you can try that one straight. If you see corruption too then very likely hardware related.

Like others said, this forum is not the proper channel for this. You should try official NVidia or your distro forums for that.

Returning to topic is nice that KDE devs we're able to work that out, specially considering fixing bugs with closed software is not easy task.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

No doubt system hangs are a serious problem. But are you expecting anyone to be able to tell whether that's a hardware or software problem, with basically no input at all?
      I use Kubuntu and I updated to the latest release of Plasma.

My specs are:
      asus maximus extreme
      e8600
      corsair ddr3 1333 xms 8gb
      gigabyte gt 730 OC 1gb

c1e enable
      eist enable

(the problem occurs also if I disable eist and or c1e but with less frequency.
      After the upgrading to the last PLASMA revision the problem happens more often.
      So I don't understand if it is an hardware's issue (VGA or DDRam or USB) or an operating system's problems (drivers and or apis).
      The problem occurs both I'm browsing (muse movements) and or I simple open the menu of application after that generally I can move the cursor by mouse having the keyboard working properly (block num key works).... but all in the screen is locked.

I didn't show my rig only to know if others have had the same problem so to give me their feedback. I didn't want to be intrusive giving my feedback which eventually could help developers.
      Last edited by Azrael5; 28 June 2017, 12:45 PM.

Comment

I am going to have use that robustness_video_memory_purge extension myself.. Gah.. Was it really too much to ask for that a texture stays valid until I invalidate it myself?

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post

I use Kubuntu and I updated to the latest release of Plasma.

My specs are:
          asus maximus extreme
          e8600
          corsair ddr3 1333 xms 8gb
          gigabyte gt 730 OC 1gb

c1e enable
          eist enable

(the problem occurs also if I disable eist and or c1e but with less frequency.
          After the upgrading to the last PLASMA revision the problem happens more often.
          So I don't understand if it is an hardware's issue (VGA or DDRam or USB) or an operating system's problems (drivers and or apis).
          The problem occurs both I'm browsing (muse movements) and or I simple open the menu of application after that generally I can move the cursor by mouse having the keyboard working properly (block num key works).... but all in the screen is locked.

I didn't show my rig only to know if others have had the same problem so to give me their feedback. I didn't want to be intrusive giving my feedback which eventually could help developers.
          Well, you've mostly answered the question yourself. Disable CPUfreq and see whether the problem persists (it's possible the default governor doesn't play nice with such an "old" CPU). If that fails, try memtest and if that doesn't report any problems, journalctl is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Well, you've mostly answered the question yourself. Disable CPUfreq and see whether the problem persists (it's possible the default governor doesn't play nice with such an "old" CPU). If that fails, try memtest and if that doesn't report any problems, journalctl is your friend.
            thanks for replay,

That's the result of cpupower tool something appears to be not supported

cpupower frequency-info
            analyzing CPU 0:
            driver: acpi-cpufreq
            CPUs which run at the same hardware frequency: 0
            CPUs which need to have their frequency coordinated by software: 0
            maximum transition latency: 10.0 us
            hardware limits: 2.00 GHz - 3.33 GHz
            available frequency steps: 3.33 GHz, 2.66 GHz, 2.00 GHz
            available cpufreq governors: conservative ondemand userspace powersave performance schedutil
            current policy: frequency should be within 2.00 GHz and 3.33 GHz.
            The governor "ondemand" may decide which speed to use
            within this range.
            current CPU frequency: Unable to call hardware
            current CPU frequency: 2.00 GHz (asserted by call to kernel)
            boost state support:
            Supported: no
            Active: no

I've made some search online to search for similar cases:
            https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s....17/+bug/85370
            CPU frequency changes cause random memory corruption. Not yet clear whether on write or read, and how the cache is involved. Failure pattern: data at physical addresses 0x???3b, 0x???4b, 0x???5b, 0...

Reading the first of the 2 thread aforementioned. probably it is a BIOS PROBLEM.

EDIT: IT WAS A FIRMWARE (bios) PROBLEM.
            Last edited by Azrael5; 01 July 2017, 06:20 AM.

Comment

That fix is really interesting. I have been hit by that bug but didn't find the cause. I was mislead by the fact that suspend/resume always worked great, but when I replaced my GTX 660 with a GTX 1060 - without any driver change as I already was running the latest - the problem appeared. So I blamed only the hardware.

I already had updated KDE to 5.10.3, but didn't try suspending since then. I need to check that when I'm back at the affected system.

Comment

Working...
              X