Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora Continues Working On Better NVIDIA Support, PipeWire Could Replace PulseAudio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by audi.rs4 View Post
    I tried Fedora a few months ago, and left quickly when installing the Nvidia driver quickly became a nightmare. I quickly was back running Ubuntu Gnome. Glad to hear they are working on improving things with working with the Nvidia driver.
    They aren't working on installing the Nvidia driver, rather just making sure Gnome works well on a system with the binary driver - Fedora won't allow closed source binary software into the distribution.

The easiest way to deal with the issue is to use a 3rd party repository - https://negativo17.org/nvidia-driver/ is a good and painless option.

Comment

But I thought pulseaudio was part of redhat's plan to destroy linux <\sarcasm>

Comment

What is this pipewire thingy? Googling now in progress............ (hoping desperately for a real PA alternative)

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
          What is this pipewire thingy? Googling now in progress............ (hoping desperately for a real PA alternative)
          Not in a rush here, Archlinux + PulseAudio here work flawlessly for me since years ago, also note i use MacOS Sierra on the same machine(8 core Xeon Hackintosh) and for the life of me i cannot notice any difference in audio when playing my files on either OS(all my MultiMedia data is on a RAID10 ZFS Volume, so Linux and MacOS can read it natively-ish ZFSonLinux and OpenZFSonOSx projects). This apply to my 5.1 speakers and my Gaming headphones(either USB or Jack based ones), so happy camper here.

Well i guess if you are into professional audio, things may differ of course

Comment

Oh look, RedHat forcing pre-alpha quality NIH software down our throats again. Lets break ALLTHETHINGSAGAIN just so Redhat can be in better control of the linux. Pipewire is made by a Redhatter so vain, he made a wikipedia page for himself. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wim_Taymans

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post

Not in a rush here, Archlinux + PulseAudio here work flawlessly for me since years ago, also note i use MacOS Sierra on the same machine(8 core Xeon Hackintosh) and for the life of me i cannot notice any difference in audio when playing my files on either OS(all my MultiMedia data is on a RAID10 ZFS Volume, so Linux and MacOS can read it natively-ish ZFSonLinux and OpenZFSonOSx projects). This apply to my 5.1 speakers and my Gaming headphones(either USB or Jack based ones), so happy camper here.

Well i guess if you are into professional audio, things may differ of course
              There is some wire delay of course, but most latency is at the CPU. Which isn't necessarily a problem for multimedia playback software, it just delays the video stream until the audio stream catches up. It can become a problem when you are gaming and the game consumes enough CPU that the audio stream doesn't have quite enough anymore. Probably not an issue on a high end multicore processor.

Comment

This PipeWire thing sounds interesting, my question would be if it is going to provide a Jack and Pulseaudio layers so existing applications keep working normally. Otherwise we would end yet again with more competing sound servers...

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                  Oh look, RedHat forcing pre-alpha quality NIH software down our throats again. Lets break ALLTHETHINGSAGAIN just so Redhat can be in better control of the linux.
                  Sorry sir, but you are just trolling here. The project is still in development and if you bothered reading the article you would have seen that it is not even going to be included in Fedora 26, and when it does get included it will be to only cover the video part. Long term we do want to solve both audio and video, but we want to do so without breaking peoples applications. And there is no NIH here, as said in the blog Wim has already contributed a lot of code to PulseAudio over the years, so it is not like he is not familar with it or on great terms with the PulseAudio community.

Comment

Does anyone knows how well Gnome Wayland works with the NVIDIA binary driver?

Comment

A unique api to develop mainstream and pro audio applications was longely awaited. Goodbye Jack, it was nice. Will the rt patchset ever be merged upstream?
                      ## VGA ##
                      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Working...
                      X