KDE Brooklyn Chat Bridge Sees Its First Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by markc View Post
    I refuse to use any JAVA apps so I guess I will just have to not use this one too.
    Stay away form the cloud then. Hell, stay away from the web.

Edit: And positively stay away from Android.
    Last edited by bug77; 20 June 2017, 07:49 AM.

Comment

OK so I get the part where a Java developer can't build something without a web server being deployed somewhere. But QT? Bridging the remaining open IM protocols? Hehehe. HEHEHEHE. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Comment

Originally posted by dkasak View Post
        OK so I get the part where a Java developer can't build something without a web server being deployed somewhere.
        I'm building such a thing as we speak. It will connect to a remote server if one is configured/available, otherwise it will go into autonomous mode and continue running just fine. And did I mention it runs on raspberrypi? First generation raspberrypi.

Originally posted by dkasak View Post
        But QT? Bridging the remaining open IM protocols? Hehehe. HEHEHEHE. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
        This is a KDE, not a Qt project. Jeez people, get your bearing straight before foaming.

Fwiw, I wouldn't have chosen Java for this either, but let's not stone devs to wall before we know their intentions.

Comment

Originally posted by nll_a
          Java is really slow
          In fact it depends on what you're developing.
          The main overhead is the startup time, then performance depends much on how you write code. Especially server-side the main difference is how "well written" is your code.
          Parallel streams, async I/O, etc help you to write code as fast as C++. Java is now a mature language, we are not in 1999 anymore

Since it is not used by most of the other devs your project runs the risk of being quickly abandoned after you lose interest in it.
          You're right, it's an huge problem.

Is there any advantage to Java over C++, at least in KDE? I don't believe there is one.
          Reflection, streams, optionals, and so on helped me to build a robust and performant application.
          https://thenewstack.io/instagram-mak...move-python-3/ you should read this, sometimes performance is the last problem while developing software.

]But I wish you the best of luck in your work. Don't let anyone put you down.
          Thank you very much!

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I'm building such a thing as we speak. It will connect to a remote server if one is configured/available, otherwise it will go into autonomous mode and continue running just fine. And did I mention it runs on raspberrypi? First generation raspberrypi.

This is a KDE, not a Qt project. Jeez people, get your bearing straight before foaming.

Fwiw, I wouldn't have chosen Java for this either, but let's not stone devs to wall before we know their intentions.
            That's the "great open source community". Whatever you do is wrong, unnecessary, waste of resource, bad language (no matter which one)...

Comment

Originally posted by DavideRiva View Post
              Java is the best choice for this project.
              We should (I've to do that too) stop focusing on languages wars and more on choosing the right language for the right project.
              Absolutely, right language for the project. Unfortunately, in this case Java is absolutely the wrong choice and the fact that the KDE project is supporting this brings into question the competence of the KDE developers.

Too often the "right language" arguments come down to I want to use my favorite language and don't care about the project as a whole.

Java has its places, but there is absolutely no reason why it should be necessary to start up a JVM to use a chat client in a C++ based project, and unless KDE suddenly gets an influx of Java developers then the long term maintenance of this software is questionable.

If someone want to write a KDE application using Java, then great, their choice (just like Python, D, or any other language). But the underlying software used for KDE itself needs to be consistent for long term maintainability.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I'm getting paid a lot to program in Java, so I guess the joke's on you.
                Also: http://githut.info/
                It's popular and used in companies, so it must be great! ...

Comment

Originally posted by mdvle View Post

Absolutely, right language for the project. Unfortunately, in this case Java is absolutely the wrong choice and the fact that the KDE project is supporting this brings into question the competence of the KDE developers.

Too often the "right language" arguments come down to I want to use my favorite language and don't care about the project as a whole.

Java has its places, but there is absolutely no reason why it should be necessary to start up a JVM to use a chat client in a C++ based project, and unless KDE suddenly gets an influx of Java developers then the long term maintenance of this software is questionable.

If someone want to write a KDE application using Java, then great, their choice (just like Python, D, or any other language). But the underlying software used for KDE itself needs to be consistent for long term maintainability.
                  It's not even a chat client, what you're talking about?
                  Java is not my favourite language, nor the language which I use more frequently, nor in my sticker collection

Comment

Hi, I'm the developer of Brooklyn. First of all, thank you for the article.
                    Sorry for my bad English but I'm not native.
                    Don't apologize for English. Most of us aren't speaking it natively either. I'm pretty sure natives have a chuckle reading our posts, but it's netiquette not to rub it in anyone's face.

Brooklyn is born to solve this problem inside KDE (especially on W2L).
                    It's not going to fail because it is doing the job is needed for.
                    How will you bridge to/from proprietary protocols (e.g. FB messenger)?

Comment

Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post

It's popular and used in companies, so it must be great! ...
                      Contrary to what ivory-tower gurus will tell you, real-world usage is the single most important metric when measuring a language's success.
                      And yes, Java is great in some aspects. And a PITA when you don't actually need OOP

Comment

Working...
                      X