Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Java is not the browser plugin. Jeez...
    Java-not-the-browser-plugin is dead too.

Comment

< ... snip/>... And a PITA when you don't actually need OOP
      And, in the case when you actually really need OOP, Java is a PITA as well.

Comment

Originally posted by lowflyer View Post

Java-not-the-browser-plugin is dead too.
        I've just posted a link proving other wise. If you think I'm wrong, feel free to argue.

Comment

How will you bridge to/from proprietary protocols (e.g. FB messenger)?
          The only requirement is that there is an API for bots for the particular protocol. Then you can extend Brooklyn simply creating a class, which will be loaded through reflection.
          We don't have plans to support other protocols except IRC/Telegram/Rocket.Chat, but it's modular so feel free to extend it if you want

Comment

Originally posted by DavideRiva View Post

The only requirement is that there is an API for bots for the particular protocol. Then you can extend Brooklyn simply creating a class, which will be loaded through reflection.
            We don't have plans to support other protocols except IRC/Telegram/Rocket.Chat, but it's modular so feel free to extend it if you want
            I don't work for FB, so how would I do that?
            Because, you know, that what XMPP wanted, too: we provide the core, you can add modules. Nobody ever bothered.

Comment

I've just posted a link proving other wise. If you think I'm wrong, feel free to argue.
              Please take my posts with a grain of salt. I write them with a smile on the back of my teeth.

Look at it from this point of view: Java-not-the-web-plugin is dead because my android phone dies a couple of times a day.

The link to githut you posted contains archeological data which does not reflect the world we live in today. It covers only the years 2012-2014. If you remember, we had a "Java is great" hype sweeping across our lands at that time. But, to be honest, it is not exactly easy to get more recent data. I've found this page that analyzes job offers on Craigslist. The data is valid as last year (2016). You can take this as a hint of a sharp decline of Java after 2014.

Comment

Originally posted by lowflyer View Post
                Please take my posts with a grain of salt. I write them with a smile on the back of my teeth.

Look at it from this point of view: Java-not-the-web-plugin is dead because my android phone dies a couple of times a day.

The link to githut you posted contains archeological data which does not reflect the world we live in today. It covers only the years 2012-2014. If you remember, we had a "Java is great" hype sweeping across our lands at that time. But, to be honest, it is not exactly easy to get more recent data. I've found this page that analyzes job offers on Craigslist. The data is valid as last year (2016). You can take this as a hint of a sharp decline of Java after 2014.
                I'm still not sure what's your beef with Java and why you think it's dead. The language is ok and widely used, the JVM is used by several different languages... it just doesn't look dead to me anyway you look at it. Could it be in a better place now? Sure. Then again, which language couldn't?

And the "my android phone dies a couple of times a day" is a gem, because while Java helps write Android applications, it is no way involved in running them. The make of the phone is also important, because if we're talking Samsung bloatware or some random Chinese OEM... you're lucky it only dies twice a day.
                Last edited by bug77; 22 June 2017, 07:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nll_a
                  What about the Stack Overflow 2017 survey?
                  Use Stack Overflow Insights and get information required to understand, reach, and attract developers.Improve tech hiring, recruiting, developer marketing, and and planning initiatives.
                  Thanks Guest, Excellent page! (despite DuckDuck didn't find it.)

I just want to point out that this Stackoverflow Survey has an inherent bias resulting from the methodology. As they say by themselves: "Respondents were recruited primarily through channels "owned" by Stack Overflow, such as blog posts and banner ads on the site."

Comment

Not at all. And yeah, it's really hard to do such a survey in an unbiased way. I'm not even sure it's possible.
                    "Not at all" what? - They *are* biased and they are open about it. Which is a good thing. I agree that it is hard to do a survey "unbiased". That's the reason why the methodology should always be communicated.

To be fair: the study done at githut is likewise excellent as they openly present the source of the data. It's a pity that they do not show data beyond 2014. I would prefer the data from githut because I think (my personal opinion; I could be wrong) that github is more neutral. You also clearly see that the stackoverflow data is heavily biased towards web developers as they make out 72.6% of the developers there.

Comment

"Not at all" as a response to your thanks, as in "you're welcome", "de nada". <snip/>
                      Aaah! Learnt something. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X