Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 55 Beta Prepping Numerous Changes

Phoronix: Firefox 55 Beta Prepping Numerous Changes

With Firefox 54 having shipped this week, Firefox 55 is now in beta...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I haven't been keeping up with Firefox development specifically but do notice the whole GUI hangs for several seconds when loading a large Apache directory index page. Does anyone know if that's on a roadmap to be improved upon or should I continue to use almost any other modern browser instead?

Edit: At least it supports Opus...
    Last edited by ResponseWriter; 16 June 2017, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Is html5 date coming on this release? They went on the moon with all the technology they are implementing, but they forgot their boots.

Comment

There are also an headless mode

Comment

Wayland by default including hardware accelerated html5 (watching youtube on a laptop) would be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
            Is html5 date coming on this release?
            Yes

Comment

Originally posted by Wilfred View Post
              Wayland by default including hardware accelerated html5 (watching youtube on a laptop) would be nice.
              Maybe try a flatpak to see how it's working out?

Comment

Originally posted by ResponseWriter View Post
                I haven't been keeping up with Firefox development specifically but do notice the whole GUI hangs for several seconds when loading a large Apache directory index page. Does anyone know if that's on a roadmap to be improved upon or should I continue to use almost any other modern browser instead?

Edit: At least it supports Opus...
                The user interface hangs were fixed for me with Firefox 54 with the multiprocess. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...lity-reporter/ Will tell you if all your add-ons are compatable (if one isn't, multiprocess will be disabled). Once you disable the incompatble extension, firefox will need a restart to switch to multiprocess. about.config dom.ipc.processCount should show the number 4 if it is enabled.

Comment

after dropping gtk2 and alsa support and implementing tons of never-used-than-removed "features" that makes it slower and slower, my only question is: what is the best alternative to firefox?

something with a rendering engine that receives security updates (not an old libwebkitgtk thing), lightweight and with javascript that can be disabled would be optimal to me
                  any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by trek View Post
                    after dropping gtk2 and alsa support and implementing tons of never-used-than-removed "features" that makes it slower and slower, my only question is: what is the best alternative to firefox?

something with a rendering engine that receives security updates (not an old libwebkitgtk thing), lightweight and with javascript that can be disabled would be optimal to me
                    any ideas?
                    Vivaldi.

Comment

Working...
                    X