WPS Office 2016 for Linux Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
    1) Perfect compatibility with docx (perhaps the only reason for LibreOffice not to be used)
    Did you actually try to use MSOffice in Wine or are you just wondering? Because MSOffice is well-known to not be 100% compatible even with its new versions, and as newer and newer versions appear this gap widens.

4) Cost - Urm... it is easier to find a torrent of Microsoft Office than WPS haha.
    stealing != buying
    If we factor piracy then there is 0 need to have any open software, everything noteworthy is cracked and uploaded already.

Comment

First of all: anything that looks like microsoft office sucks. Like libreoffice, it sucks too. The last good commercial wordprocessor was probably wordperfect 6.0. After feeling the lack of wordperfect, I found pdflatex, which does everything I want, and in much less time than any of those stupid "office suites".
      Oh you want calculations? Well, we have twiki for that.
      So, unless a structured wordprocessor like wordperfect rises again, there is nothing better than pdflatex. All those office suites just makes life more complex.

Comment

LibreOffice feels like a very old version of MS Office to me, the WPS office is better but still feels a tad old. I wonder what their 2018 version is like.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
          Well, I haven't used it yet personally, but I'm looking at things like that.

The point is indeed bloody DOCX formatting support. I need to edit a DOCX document (because the company that requested to fill out the form doesn't have proper LaTeX templates, blehhh) while preserving the formatting as much as possible. MS Office Online was indeed the first thing I tried, but... Believe it or not, it doesn't actually preserve formatting. Yeap. >_< Not only that, but it (yes, the web app itself) crashes every time I copy-paste table contents. And it's overall hilariously slow.

I tried to run MS Word Viewer on Wine, and it works, but... It can't handle DOCX files without converting them into DOC, which, guess what, doesn't preserve formatting! Now I could try and see if MS Office 365 works on Wine, but last I heard it wasn't working that well.

Next time I might just say screw the formatting and do it in Google Docs... Or LibreOffice Online.
          Most of those office suites have printer depending layouts. When you select another printer, the layout changes... Even wordperfect had that downside.
          And yeah microsoft word is a hell. In dependencies, proper formatting, and crashability if it was not made with that word.
          It's weird that something like latex still hasn't found it's match yet. Wordperfect was a good one though... in data entry mode you could just type in the text with the sections neatly nested -which up until this day is still impossible with word or libreoffice- and make your layout an afterthought, instead of your primary task.

Comment

This company should review its communication processes... after telling that WPS Office development for linux was halted then saying it is not, now they publish a press release to inform about the stable release of WPS office 2016 is available (mid-2017), obviously going directly from an alpha version to a stable one but... they forgot to notify the department in charge of the web site that the download page needs to be updated.

When I see how they handle simple things like this, I don't even want to try their product !

Comment

I use some proprietary software like Steam, but when it comes to productivity software I'm much more picky/strict. So I wouldn't use WPS.

Having said that, I rarely need a word processor anyway. I'm a plain text / markdown kind of guy.

Spreadsheets and such are obviously a different story. LO does the job there, for me.

Comment

Do you see a need for any other office suite on Linux besides LibreOffice?

Absolutely not if it's subscription based. If it were a single, ONE-OFF payment with NO ongoing relationship with WPS whatsoever then I may consider it.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  Did you actually try to use MSOffice in Wine or are you just wondering? Because MSOffice is well-known to not be 100% compatible even with its new versions, and as newer and newer versions appear this gap widens.
                  MS Office 2013 works really well in Crossover. The Crossover folks take care of the per-app tweaking, and the installer, so the end user experience is "just works". But yeah, if you're attempting it with vanilla WINE, it's a bit dicey.

Comment

I once had MS Office but one day I couldn't open a newer doc. As there was no update, but a complete rebuy, I thrashed it. Never looked back to closed source stuff. I use pdf since without problems.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                      LibreOffice feels like a very old version of MS Office to me, the WPS office is better but still feels a tad old. I wonder what their 2018 version is like.
                      Starting from 5.3, LibreOffice has Notebook bar layout similar to Ribbon which can be enable Option -> Advanced -> Enable Experimental Features.
                      In addition, you can customize it with sidebar as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X