Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WPS Office 2016 for Linux Released

Phoronix: WPS Office 2016 for Linux Released

Kingsoft Software has released an updated version of their (proprietary) office productivity software for Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Have you used WPS Office?
    Never. I only use Vim and sometimes LibreOffice Draw.

Do you see a need for any other office suite on Linux besides LibreOffice?
    Yes, as long as LibreOffice's slowdowns on some machines aren't fixed.

Comment

I don't speak from experience, as I have never used it. But no thanks. Closed source. I'd rather use Google docs or Office online (or whatever Microsoft's thing is called) for the times I need to edit a .docx/.xlsx.

For the rest of my needs, Libreoffice is fine.

However, I do understand if Libreoffice is no enough for everyone, as some people/companies need to deal permanently with MOffice documents...

Comment

There's a press release, but the download links are from 2016 and labelled Alpha.

Comment

Looks like the GUI is similar to M$'s office. Don't they have a patent for ribbons?

Comment

Huzzah! LibreOffice is kinda just ok and OnlyOffice has been rather slow for me

Comment

Shouldn't it be called WPS Office 2018? These guys should take a page from EA... /sarcasm

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
                Looks like the GUI is similar to M$'s office. Don't they have a patent for ribbons?
                Why would you think such a thing? Microsoft isn't Apple and they wanted everyone using Ribbons as the new interface paradigm.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

Why would you think such a thing? Microsoft isn't Apple and they wanted everyone using Ribbons as the new interface paradigm.
                  "Why would I think such a thing"?
                  Ehm ....
                  An improved user interface is provided for displaying selectable functionality controls that identifies the context of the object to which the user interface is relevant, which contains rich functionality controls for applying contextually relevant functionality to a selected object, and which may be efficiently switched to a different context for applying a different set of functionalities to a different or neighboring editable object. A context menu of functionalities is displayed adjacent to a selected object where the menu of functionalities includes functionalities associated with editing the selected object. The context menu includes an identification of the object context and a control for selectively changing the context and associated functionalities of the menu to a different object context for displaying a different set of functionalities associated with the different context.

... that's pretty obvious why I think there are ribbon related patents, because there are.

Comment

Does Microsoft Office in Wine not offer a better (proprietary) solution here in most ways?

1) Perfect compatibility with docx (perhaps the only reason for LibreOffice not to be used)
                    2) Less dependencies (Wine is actually quite minimal on software dependencies (obv x86 is required)
                    3) Better OS support (Wine works on FreeBSD, Only an old version of WPS was ported to an old version of FreeBSD)
                    4) Cost - Urm... it is easier to find a torrent of Microsoft Office than WPS haha.

As for the ribbon patent. Don't you guys remember the trend of '08? Everything has to have a goddamn ribbon. Even tools like Borland's C++ Builder spoonfed it to developers:

http://edn.embarcadero.com/cs/articl...6/0300000C.png

Nowadays, software with ribbons look dated. Just like software written to look like Windows "Metro" will in another few years. Or software written to look like it could run on a tablet (*cough*, Gnome).

Actually, I am currently working on a project to replace some old software for an NHS stroke patient monitoring system. The original version has a goddam ribbon even though it only has a total of 4 menu items :/
                    Last edited by kpedersen; 14 June 2017, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X