No announcement yet.

GNOME 3.26 Getting Better Half-Tiling Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You see, is for things like that you will never caught me alive using Gnome/Unity as my main desktop. The other day I was installing Fedora in a notebook and the touchpad wasn't registering the left click. Later I discovered this is the default setting. I remember thinking why, why in Linus name they would do that atrocity. Later, when I was testing Ubuntu-Gnome it was the same thing, no left button touch for you. You want it, have to use the touchpad physical button to reach the option sucker...

Today I was using Ubuntu 16.04 with a full size keyboard and the Num Lock wasn't on. No big deal, I can enable it in the settings so the next time it will be on by default. Nope, that's not even a option in the menus, you have to install some shit and try to edit a config file so it will be on next time you start the computer. Yay...

Have a 120/144hz monitor son? Because if you have, there is not a option on the menu to appreciate that sweet flow of your windows, nope. Again you are stuck with hacks to use simple things.

So I ask, what is the point of bragging to be the best, most advanced, easiest to use desktop environment, when you force your user to edit config files to enable things the other DEs have on button waiting to be clicked? What kind of stupid philosophy is that?

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
      Later, when I was testing Ubuntu-Gnome it was the same thing, no left button touch for you. You want it, have to use the touchpad physical button to reach the option sucker...

Today I was using Ubuntu 16.04 with a full size keyboard and the Num Lock wasn't on.
      I'm actually in the opposite field there and I always turn off "tap as left click" on the touchpad and Num Lock at startup, so not everybody is going to see that as an issue. I'm glad that is the default, although I could swear the defaults are the opposite of what you say they are, but it's been a long time since I had to change any of that. Also, the Num Lock thing I'm pretty sure is a BIOS/UEFI option and not related to the OS.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post

I'm actually in the opposite field there and I always turn off "tap as left click" on the touchpad and Num Lock at startup, so not everybody is going to see that as an issue. I'm glad that is the default, although I could swear the defaults are the opposite of what you say they are, but it's been a long time since I had to change any of that. Also, the Num Lock thing I'm pretty sure is a BIOS/UEFI option and not related to the OS.
        The Num Lock is a option in any major DE you can think of, minus Gnome/Unity. Same thing as "touch to click", is on in every single DE I tried, minus Gnome (Unity had it on).

I agree that different people have different habits, so I like when a DE respects the user preferences, instead of pushing what the developers think is the best way to do things.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
          I'm actually in the opposite field there and I always turn off "tap as left click" on the touchpad
          You're a very horrible person if you do.

/sarcasm
          Also, the Num Lock thing I'm pretty sure is a BIOS/UEFI option and not related to the OS.
          Num Lock can be handled by anything, really. It's basically a key press, and a DE can press all keys it wants and also detect if Num lock is pressed or not when it starts up (so it can react accordingly).
          KDE has num lock option (obviously).

Comment

You see, is for things like that you will never caught me alive using Gnome/Unity as my main desktop. The other day I was installing Fedora in a notebook and the touchpad wasn't registering the left click. Later I discovered this is the default setting. I remember thinking why, why in Linus name they would do that atrocity. Later, when I was testing Ubuntu-Gnome it was the same thing, no left button touch for you. You want it, have to use the touchpad physical button to reach the option sucker...

Today I was using Ubuntu 16.04 with a full size keyboard and the Num Lock wasn't on. No big deal, I can enable it in the settings so the next time it will be on by default. Nope, that's not even a option in the menus, you have to install some shit and try to edit a config file so it will be on next time you start the computer. Yay...

Have a 120/144hz monitor son? Because if you have, there is not a option on the menu to appreciate that sweet flow of your windows, nope. Again you are stuck with hacks to use simple things.

So I ask, what is the point of bragging to be the best, most advanced, easiest to use desktop environment, when you force your user to edit config files to enable things the other DEs have on button waiting to be clicked? What kind of stupid philosophy is that?
            I had the same problem when I just bought a monitor with 144 hz (I think was march of this year), but I installed gnome like a month ago and i can set it with 144 hz, also kde have the issue that the monitor is just let me set at 120 hz, but as far I remember you can set the hz on the display option is like hide it or tricky to see it. I dunno what version of gnome are you using it. Both DE are good but from been very ahead they lack both some basic features or bugs that need to be fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by raonlinux View Post

I had the same problem when I just bought a monitor with 144 hz (I think was march of this year), but I installed gnome like a month ago and i can set it with 144 hz, also kde have the issue that the monitor is just let me set at 120 hz, but as far I remember you can set the hz on the display option is like hide it or tricky to see it. I dunno what version of gnome are you using it. Both DE are good but from been very ahead they lack both some basic features or bugs that need to be fixed.
              So it has the option now, glad to know it. One less thing to complain about.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
                It surprises me that GNOME would be behind in this, given that GNOME 2 was often shipped with compiz.
                It shouldn't be surprising. Some people and distros might have run Gnome 2 with Compiz, but that had nothing to do with Gnome itself.

Comment

The Num Lock is a option in any major DE you can think of, minus Gnome/Unity. Same thing as "touch to click", is on in every single DE I tried, minus Gnome (Unity had it on).

I agree that different people have different habits, so I like when a DE respects the user preferences, instead of pushing what the developers think is the best way to do things.
                  It takes a split second to set up numlock. With the new Corsair mechanical I bought, and love, it is keypad less making care even less than before.

Comment

I love having a shorter keyboard. No more issues with nuimlock, but it really wasn't much of one since you can set it manually inside dconf org/gnome/settings-daemon/peripherals/keyboard

numlock-state 'on'
                    remember-numlock-state true

Every system upgrade after that has those settings stored, on a per user basis.

Comment

Thanks for keeping improving and being the best DE available! Love you, GNOME!

Comment

Working...
                      X