Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.26 Getting Better Half-Tiling Support

Phoronix: GNOME 3.26 Getting Better Half-Tiling Support

Georges Stavracas has been hacking away on better half-tiling support in GNOME Shell / Mutter and is working towards quarter-tiling functionality...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...26-Half-Tiling

heh, being able to resize windows together is nifty (although I suspect that tiling window manager users will not be that impressed)

Comment

Is it me, or does the client area lag behind the title bar?

Comment

At last! Now if nautilus gets typeahead search again, I might switch to Gnome :P

Comment

Originally posted by ThanosRules View Post
          At last! Now if nautilus gets typeahead search again, I might switch to Gnome :P
          That will never happen. Ubuntu has patched that in for years so it's not like there haven't been a well tested, working, patch available. It's just that the Gnome devs are the most stubborn people in the world and they have decided that searching for files should take a long time.
          Oh, and Ubuntu have given up on maintaining that patch now together with dropping Unity so soon there will be no working patch available.

Comment

Don't know about typeahead, but this is somthing I would miss if switching to Gnome.

Comment

You can always remove Nautilus and install Nemo.

Comment

It surprises me that GNOME would be behind in this, given that GNOME 2 was often shipped with compiz. Quarter-tiling has been available in compiz for years via the "grid" plugin when using 4 open windows. Works best with the 0.9 series but works in 0.8 (compiz-reloaded) too. With 0.9 the windows even snap back to original size when pulled away from a corner. I have them set to quarterscreen tile when dragged to a corner, and ignore being (accidently) dragged to an edge. Compiz-reloaded even has a "tile" plugin that tiles all windows when a key combination is used,

Comment

Originally posted by nazar-pc View Post

You can always remove Nautilus and install Nemo.
                  Yeah last time I tried Gnome (March-April) I tried really hard to use it with nautilus. After 2 weeks, I couldn't bare it so I used nemo instead. However, I had minor issues and if you take into consideration the 15 extensions which I was using in order to make Gnome usable, the performance was really bad. So, after 1 month I removed it completely and went back to mate+xfwm4 (my favorite combination). At that time nemo had an option to handle the desktop icons so this was possible, however now with nemo 3.24 I think this has been removed (I'm not sure) so it wouldn't be possible.

Comment

yaourt nautilus-typeahead

Problem solved. Set the dconf key and youre good to go. been using typeahead patch since they took it out.

No problemo.

Comment

Working...
                    X