LibreOffice 6.0 Is In Development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    I don't think you need GPU acceleration for smooth scrolling in MSOffice on Windows, so I'm not sure Linux has the better implementation.
    MS office has GPU acceleration since a long while.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      MS office has GPU acceleration since a long while.
      Yeah, I worded that badly. The post I was replying to stared with "which GPU so you use", making it sound like you need a beefy GPU for the job. Which is not the case on Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
        Yeah, I worded that badly. The post I was replying to stared with "which GPU so you use", making it sound like you need a beefy GPU for the job. Which is not the case on Windows.
        The issue is in the linux 2D acceleration driver (either the xorg driver or Glamor generic-2D-over-3D-hardware), of course.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          The issue is in the linux 2D acceleration driver (either the xorg driver or Glamor generic-2D-over-3D-hardware), of course.
          I wouldn't know

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

Which GPU do you use? The problem is probably the Glamor 2D acceleration.
            I have two systems - one with NVIDIA Quadro 2000 and the latest proprietary driver on Fedora 25. The other system is also Fedora 25 with AMD Radeon RX 580 and stock kernel with default settings (no AMDGPU-PRO). I experience this issue on both systems.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

Which GPU do you use? The problem is probably the Glamor 2D acceleration.
              Can you elaborate on that? After a few updates here a lot of things got quite messy. I could revert some, but e.g. LibO is terminally slow (it was in the past, but only when I scrolled over certain images in writer) and video acceleration is greyed out as an option. It sucks. And yes, I am using glamor (have to) on a radeonSI APU (Kabini). (My r600 box seems to be okay.)

(libo 5.3.3.2, mesa formerly 17.1.2 (which seemed to cause a mess in kwin and others, downgraded to 17.0.6. libo still unacc.'d.), xorg-server 1.19.3)
              Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                Can you elaborate on that?
                Certain code paths used by LibO used to be *very* slow with early versions of Glamor. Things got better with time, but I'm not sure how good they actually are. Scrolling issues with large Calc files were exactly one of the symptoms.
                ## VGA ##
                AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by trifud View Post
                  Scrolling through large spreadsheets in Calc is quite slow on Linux. It works much better on Windows. I hope that they will fix this.
                  Indeed, this is a MO advantage over LO, although I never need large stylesheets.

Comment

Does anyone know why the remove(d) the quickstarter?

Comment

Originally posted by baka0815 View Post
                      Does anyone know why the remove(d) the quickstarter?
                      As far as I see there still is
                      libreoffice --quickstart
                      at least in v5.3.3.2. And Gentoo has a USE flag "quickstarter".
                      Maybe, either your distribution did not compile in the quickstarter function or it's not activated by default. You might check you startup scripts / directories on your desktop environment. Or did they plan to remove it in future versions?
                      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Working...
                      X