Xfce Picks Up Hybrid Sleep Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
    Meh, it's a "systemctl hybrid-sleep" away on most distributions, and has been available that way for a while

More important to me is, "is hibernating working 100% properly yet?". It has been a while since the last time I tried, and the experience hasn't been stellar so far.

Well, at least, I can now resume from sleep almost 90% of the time on my desktop (it has been a solid 100% on my laptop since ~2009, however, I'll grant you that) :P
    You know what? I do agree with you 100%. Same thing here. For the most part hibernation works, but way to often I am not able to restore properly. This on plain Debian without too many fancy things going on. And yes, I have made sure to disable zram when I used that (these days I only use zswap)

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

I think I've only encountered one windows computer where hybrid sleep actually worked properly. I've had to disable it on so many computers....

Comment

Originally posted by ua=42 View Post
        I think I've only encountered one windows computer where hybrid sleep actually worked properly. I've had to disable it on so many computers....
        Works on mine. It's reasonably nice in that machine will not get it undefined state if power is cut during sleep. For Windows this is a desktop only thing IOW only machines without batteries and fast hard disks anyway
        Last edited by nanonyme; 12 June 2017, 12:46 AM.

Comment

These hibernate/sleep things do not work well with dual booting, so I'm happy to ignore them all. Of course, booting off SSD helps a bunch.

And just to rub it in debianxfce's face, I've used KDE with various effects turned on on a lousy Intel GMA 900 (or 950). Incidentally, on the same system I initially installed Xfce because I thought it couldn't handle anything more than that. But after a while curiosity kicked in.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

You will burn capacitors in your Switching Power Supplies faster. I use a power cord with a power switch to disconnect power from all of my devices.
            Faster than what? The feature is mostly useful for when something takes out electricity in your entire neighbourhood and you don't want to lose process state

Comment

Rather than letting all DE complete their feature set why dont small desktops like mate, xfce, cinnamon come together to form single good desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by KRiloshart View Post
                Rather than letting all DE complete their feature set why dont small desktops like mate, xfce, cinnamon come together to form single good desktop.
                Because it's impossible to define "good desktop" maybe?

Comment

Because good or bad of whatever is subjective

In Cinnamon you have panel down there, in XFCE default is up while MATE default to both up and down panels... you see, people can't agree even on minor things what is good default...

So what do you think, say if they could found concensus... on average panel should disappear, on the right or to be in the middle? Canonical even decided panel should be on the left and we got yet another DE immidiately

Not a joke we don't need to vote on anything further, just make a poll with question "Where panel should be on Linux?" and see the results

Something like 15 years ago when i saw wm default of openbox i immiditelly fell in love with it, isn't this just great i think that is greatest default of all time someone can get as PC Desktop It require no composition but can do it, it require no GUI toolkit but can do it which means you don't need to use neither gtk nor qt at all there if you want, use these or something entirely else if you want... now load whatever you want and place things whenever you want.

This is traditional desktop metaphor Make a keyboard or mouse gesture shourtcut and launch steam right from there, do you need anything else? Box is like you buy new and empty house/flat and then decide on arrangement, people might suggest which and where should things be but how i can know for you, it up to you really.

We only missing middle and right panel major DE options, to have completed circle of linux DE flavours
                  Last edited by dungeon; 12 June 2017, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Xfce is the One True Desktop for all. Xfce is freely configurable and it runs almost everywhere. I have used Xfce in a 10 inch Pentium III tablepc, with a touch screen pen it is easy to use in a tabletpc too. I got the tabletpc for free and sold it with 40 euros, thanks to Xfce for that.
                    You paid 40 euros to get rid of it?

That said, I'm pretty sure that a PIII tablet does not have enough ram for anything noteworthy in the modern world (Like say a web browser)

Comment

Yeah, because if everyone worked towards a single good desktop everything would be surely better.

Hail Hydra!

That said, you're bunching together 3 DEs that are using different codebase, they can't merge even if they wanted.

Comment

Working...
                      X