Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Neon Begins Vetting Qt 5.9

Phoronix: KDE Neon Begins Vetting Qt 5.9

KDE and Qt 5.8 didn't jive so smoothly, but the KDE Neon crew seem positive about Qt 5.9 and have moved forth in making it available in testing to Neon Developer Unstable users...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I use Manjaro with the unstable repository enabled and I updated to Qt 5.9 this morning, so far no problems.

Comment

Hmmm that's interesting. Doesn't that mean that all the qt apps need rebuild? I thought that KDE neon builds only the KDE software. So, if that's the case, what about the rest qt applications like qupzilla, goldendict, etc... which are get synced directly from Ubuntu 16.04 repositories and are built against qt 5.7? How will they rebuild those? Have I understood something wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by ThanosRules View Post
        Hmmm that's interesting. Doesn't that mean that all the qt apps need rebuild? I thought that KDE neon builds only the KDE software. So, if that's the case, what about the rest qt applications like qupzilla, goldendict, etc... which are get synced directly from Ubuntu 16.04 repositories and are built against qt 5.7? How will they rebuild those? Have I understood something wrong?
        I have the same question..

Comment

Gentoo user here : Qt updates are ABI compatible, no rebuilds needed.

Comment

They're primarily about KDE software. Check their FB/G+ page, they add apps to Neon all the time.

Comment

Tried installing KDE Plasma 5 on my Arch box yesterday, which recently landed qt 5.9, but only get a black screen with a Breeze cursor when I try start it. I'll have to check what qt version it is, but I haven't heard of anyone else having problems so maybe my issue is nothing to do with that. I even cleaned every config file and cache related to KDE, but still the same result.

Comment

No, Qt maintains binary compatibility so you can use an app built with Qt 5.7 with Qt 5.9 as long as you don't use any private API.

Comment

Originally posted by ElderSnake View Post
                  Tried installing KDE Plasma 5 on my Arch box yesterday, which recently landed qt 5.9, but only get a black screen with a Breeze cursor when I try start it. I'll have to check what qt version it is, but I haven't heard of anyone else having problems so maybe my issue is nothing to do with that. I even cleaned every config file and cache related to KDE, but still the same result.
                  Same setup, no such problem on X11, but it happens every time on wayland. For some reason plasmashell isn't running or crashes, and you have to run it manually from a terminal. When you're doing so, don't use autocomplete - pressing the tab key causes the terminal to freeze up, only to unfreeze again when you do finally get plasmashell running.

Comment

Working...
                  X