Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More Android Code Had Been Landing In Wine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • More Android Code Had Been Landing In Wine

    Phoronix: More Android Code Had Been Landing In Wine

    For those that have been longing to run Windows applications/games on Android using Wine, that day is finally getting closer with mainline Wine...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-2.10-Landings

  • #2
    Is this just for x86 Android?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
      Is this just for x86 Android?
      Or for Windows apps (that are cross-architecture) or other applications that manage to be cross-arch in other ways (maybe .net C# or java? I dunno). It does not translate x86 to ARM instructions for sure.

      I think their main target is selling stuff to developers that need to mulit-platform their legacy applications (so that the work to do is reduced), not making a full-blown layer like Wine is.

      Comment


      • #4
        But still no wine4wayland in work Wine on top of xwayland on top of a wayland compositor is such a PITA in performance and mouse controlls....

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          I think their main target is selling stuff to developers that need to mulit-platform their legacy applications (so that the work to do is reduced), not making a full-blown layer like Wine is.
          I suspect the same, much like the motivation for making Wine work on ARM: https://wiki.winehq.org/ARM "The original Motivation was to be able to run winelib-apps on ARM"

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by lumks View Post
            But still no wine4wayland in work Wine on top of xwayland on top of a wayland compositor is such a PITA in performance and mouse controlls....
            There's an open bug about it. TL;DR: they worked on it, but it's tricky because Wayland have restrictions that X11 haven't (because security, and such), so they stopped. All in all, it just requires someone to start working on it, may be you?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
              There's an open bug about it. TL;DR: they worked on it, but it's tricky because Wayland have restrictions that X11 haven't (because security, and such), so they stopped. All in all, it just requires someone to start working on it, may be you?
              Sounds to me like Wine should just run as one full-screen app always and be able to grab alt+tab etc and handle coordinates internally inside this full-screen window

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by nanonyme View Post

                Sounds to me like Wine should just run as one full-screen app always and be able to grab alt+tab etc and handle coordinates internally inside this full-screen window
                Yeah, they mention it too.

                Originally posted by Michael Müller
                The best solution Wine could offer, would be a virtual desktop that uses native Wayland. Not sure if it is worth the effort though.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Risking mass flamage....

                  It's because.... it's easier to get 10% of Windows programs running on Android than getting 15% to run on non-Windows x86.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I wonder how well the new Universal Windows Application stack would run on Wine. Technically UWA's are only available through the Windows Store, but someone will figure out how to sideload them like an APK. Technically, UWA's are supposed to be platform ignorant, this was the only way they could get it to work on the Qualcomm Snapdragon 835. I am sure there is a translation layer (somewhere).

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X