Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Plans End To PNaCl Support In Favor Of WebAssembly

Phoronix: Google Plans End To PNaCl Support In Favor Of WebAssembly

The Portable Native Client (PNaCl) ecosystem hasn't been too vibrant for executing native code in web-browsers given its lack of adoption outside of Google/Chrome and other factors. With WebAssembly seeing much broader adoption and inroads, Google is planning to end PNaCl...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good, I would rather something that can run on all browsers rather than just Chrome.

#inb4thefud

Comment

so like google earth is going to work in firefox and edge, or its going to be kept chrome-only?

if microsoft did this.. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by balouba View Post
        so like google earth is going to work in firefox and edge, or its going to be kept chrome-only?

if microsoft did this.. ;-)
        Is there any functionality that Google Earth have that maps do not have? Now even 3D view is integrated in maps, I don't know, I don't use them, just wondering.

Comment

NO! Please stop infecting browsers with tons of sh*t causing neverending security issues! Already I have to constantly recompile Chromium because it's like a swiss cheese with 50+ issues every week! Enough, please!

Comment

Originally posted by Staffan View Post
            NO! Please stop infecting browsers with tons of sh*t causing neverending security issues! Already I have to constantly recompile Chromium because it's like a swiss cheese with 50+ issues every week! Enough, please!
            I'm fascinated to hear how WebAssembly introduces *more* security vulnerabilities than PNaCl does.

Comment

Originally posted by Staffan View Post
              NO! Please stop infecting browsers with tons of sh*t causing neverending security issues!
              Not sure if misunderstanding or strawman...

Comment

It would be great if WASM can be used in place of JavaScript too.

Comment

Originally posted by mr_tawan View Post
                  Admittedly I haven't looked too closely at the spec, but my reading of it was that it could be used in place of Javascript in spite of the trumpeting about how it wasn't going to replace it by Mozilla. Do you have something that says otherwise?

Comment

Originally posted by mr_tawan View Post
                    It’s a subset of JavaScript.

Comment

Working...
                    X