Endless Flatpaks Steam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by libv View Post
    Endless are the guys who trashed me for not sacrificing more for lima, while they themselves never would even try to support it, and were very busy with asking for support with the binary blob driver.
    I was there and on the other side of this (for Endless) at the time though to be fair I wasn't in direct contact with you afair. We wanted to use Lima and be direct contributors to it but as an early startup we had a very limited time-to-market window and the progress on the drivers was too far behind for us so there might have been a level of urgency that we needed for us to use it with confidence but features didn't materialize quickly enough which is why we opted for the proprietary drivers instead. While I understand your point of view, saying that we never tried to support it is disingenuous imo since we wouldn't have spent time looking into it at all otherwise and just got the DDK license for the hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by sgnn7 View Post
      we opted for the proprietary drivers instead
      what is stopping you from nevertheless employing one driver dev, like vc4 or freedreno?

Comment

Originally posted by sgnn7 View Post
        While I understand your point of view, saying that we never tried to support it is disingenuous imo since we wouldn't have spent time looking into it at all otherwise and just got the DDK license for the hardware.
        That's not how your colleague made it sound about two years ago: http://libv.livejournal.com/27461.html After reading through his statements, my supposedly disingenuous "claim" suddenly rings quite true.

What I do believe is that you probably did not know about what Jasper pulled, as otherwise you would not have responded as you just did.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
          what is stopping you from nevertheless employing one driver dev, like vc4 or freedreno?
          that the blobs worked fine for them, I assume.

Comment

@ikey_solus

What happened to the similar initiative from Solus?

Comment

*wanders in*
              *finds tons of bitterness and salt that has nothing to do with Steam inside a flatpak*
              *wanders out*

Comment

Are there any links to the OSTree repo for this? Or the Flatpak build manifests?

Would love to see how it's packaged.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  that the blobs worked fine for them, I assume.
                  Indeed. The closed-source drivers have their issues but with the Mali DDK, we were both able to get running and fix any issues we found rather quickly. It's nowhere near the freedom you could get with OSS drivers but from a business perspective you need to be pragmatic or you fail quick. Was it the right decision?Personally, I would say absolutely yes since we're still around and have done order-of-magnitude more contributions to free software so in my mind it was a net-positive decision even if it meant depending on closed-source for that piece of the puzzle.
                  Last edited by sgnn7; 19 May 2017, 08:23 PM.

Comment

It is about time when non system critical software will be moved to user level, everything forced to install system level has potential to bloat and trash up system. Linux must adapt portable and user level installs more and more.

Comment

Originally posted by ssam View Post
                      Is there any more information, or a link?

Given that a flatpak is self contained, to the games get installed within the local storage for steam? This would mean that you can't choose a destination for the game outside of your home disk. Is there a way to fix this?
                      Why home disk? Can't I just install the Flatpak on my MicroSD (which is mounted on my laptop all of the time)?

Btw, here's the link to the Flatpak on their GitHub: https://github.com/endlessm/steam-flatpak
                      Last edited by Vistaus; 20 May 2017, 05:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X