No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 5.10 Beta Ships With Folder View Default, Improved Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is one important bug fix in 5.10, a bug that I experienced - when you lock and then unlock the session, the screen is black. Happens on 2 of my machines, so might be a problem that affects everyone. Good to know that 5.10 is going to be released by the end of the month, I was planning on compiling kwin-git

Comment

I used kde on Wayland in Kubuntu 17.04 it worked fine on my Amd notebook, while on Nvidia's desktop with nouveau, I noticed many problems.
      But the move from Xorg to Wayland has to be over time, as there are problems with both Kde and Gnome.
      These DE wars are very stupid, but usually Gnome users are arrogant, they feel the first of the Gnu / Linux class but fortunately they are not, but there are also Gnome users with whom it's nice to talk fortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post
        And Ubuntu stopped support KUbuntu few years ago so no, KDE isn't official desktop for Ubuntu. It's community remix now.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          "On the Wayland front there is improved keyboard layout support to take it to parity with X11"
          Does this mean caps lock is working? Because that seems to be the only keyboard-specific issue I'm getting. I have more issues regarding the mouse (like middle-click clipboard, screen edge issues, and less precision in trackpad 2-finger scrolling).

I use KDE+Wayland on a daily basis and it mostly works pretty well for me. There are a handful of problems but nothing I can't temporarily deal with. So far I'd say the most apparent problems I get are related to XWayland.
          Good for you. When I try Kde+Wayland kwin doesn't work and I have no panels.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
            The worst part is not the bad code, lack of skilled developers or ever fewer users. KDE failed to communicate how dire the situation is. X is not safe, some KDE developers even warn against using KDE on X.

KDE really need to tell the user about the current situation and offer informed choices. 1) Stay on KDE/X and expect no security. 2) Move to KDE/Wayland and suffer the consequences. 3) Temporarily move to a safer alternatives.
            If X was truly that lacking in security, we would have seem a WannaCrypt for X years ago. Yet somehow everybody's happily using X and the world hasn't ended.
            Yes, some architectural choices from 30 years ago aren't holding up so well today, but that thing works.

Comment

Bug77. That is your opinion. Some KDE developers disagree and warn against X. Do you care to elaborate why you consider their opinion to be void?
              Because no massive exploit for X has been devised in the past 30 years? Do you care to elaborate on which KDE developers warn against X?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Because no massive exploit for X has been devised in the past 30 years? Do you care to elaborate on which KDE developers warn against X?
                Some KDE devs and Wayland devs have pointed out some security issues with X, have a look at Martins blog for some details: https://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/ but as far as exploits, i've not heard of any.

Comment

Originally posted by rtfazeberdee View Post

Some KDE devs and Wayland devs have pointed out some security issues with X, have a look at Martins blog for some details: https://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/ but as far as exploits, i've not heard of any.
                  Well, yes, like I've said, some aspects have not aged very well. But since I've never read of a significant X exploit, I'm wondering which dev would start advising against X out of the blue.

Comment

Bug77. You were very careful not to answer my question. X is exploitable by design. So what you got is deliberately insecure software. So I ask you again, please elaborate on why some of thw KDE developers are wrong when they claim X is insecure.
                    Ask them. But please show me where KDE devs said what you claim they said.

And to really answer your question: all software is exploitable, I fail to see why I should be particularly concerned about X. If anything, 30 years of no major exploits out there make X a very serviceable piece of software.

Comment

You already got a link. It is common knowledge that X is insecure by design. It is fine that you disagree with some KDE developers but the problems still stands.
                      No I didn't get a link. And "it is common knowledge" is not an argument. You said KDE devs warn against using X, but produced no evidence. That's not how a civilised conversation takes place.

Comment

Working...
                      X