No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 5.10 Beta Ships With Folder View Default, Improved Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"On the Wayland front there is improved keyboard layout support to take it to parity with X11"
    Does this mean caps lock is working? Because that seems to be the only keyboard-specific issue I'm getting. I have more issues regarding the mouse (like middle-click clipboard, screen edge issues, and less precision in trackpad 2-finger scrolling).

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
    Did you ever try Plasma on Wayland? It's the land of bugs, mostly due to QT but still the land of bugs.
    I use KDE+Wayland on a daily basis and it mostly works pretty well for me. There are a handful of problems but nothing I can't temporarily deal with. So far I'd say the most apparent problems I get are related to XWayland.

Comment

Did you ever try Plasma on Wayland? It's the land of bugs, mostly due to QT but still the land of bugs.
      We'll talk when it's 100% usable with Gnome. However, Gnome should fix horrendous memory leaks first and improve performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
        Thanks for all comments related to me. That would be enough for now so lets focus on Wayland! The thing is that Wayland support is so much more than just the protocol adaption.

Everybody KNOWS that a traditional desktop on X and no sandboxing is not safe. This is 2017, there is no excuse.
        You're on Windows anyway so please shut up!

Comment

That would be enough for now so lets focus on Wayland!
          You don't get a say in what is enough - you brought this upon yourself. If you don't like how much everyone finds you annoying, how about stop trolling? Even if you truly believe KDE deserves all the hate that you give it (seriously, did one of the devs murder your family?) you should realize that your incessant behavior is working against you.

Now - can we please have a KDE thread that you won't derail?
          Last edited by schmidtbag; 15 May 2017, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all comments related to me.
            Wow. This is a cry for attention or what? Do you need a hug too?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              I use KDE+Wayland on a daily basis and it mostly works pretty well for me. There are a handful of problems but nothing I can't temporarily deal with. So far I'd say the most apparent problems I get are related to XWayland.
              Then you're lucky, I can't say the same. It was definitely not usable last time I tried it, about 2 months ago.
              ## VGA ##
              AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
              Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Then you're lucky, I can't say the same. It was definitely not usable last time I tried it, about 2 months ago.
                2 months ago I also deemed it unusable. I've been using KDE+Wayland for less time than that (I don't know exactly how long). There is noticeable progress after every update I get. I'm also using Arch - if you're on a distro like Kubuntu or Fedora, you might be using something slightly outdated.

EDIT:
                I personally wouldn't recommend KDE+Wayland for everyday use (particularly for those who aren't very experienced in KDE) but I would say that it is doable.
                Last edited by schmidtbag; 15 May 2017, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

Considering that Wayland is a display server and KDE is a desktop (which Ubuntu supports with an official flavor), I'd say Griffin is coming from Troll Land...
                  Wayland isn't display server, it's only protocol. And Ubuntu stopped support KUbuntu few years ago so no, KDE isn;t official destkop for Ubuntu. It's community remix now.

Comment

Improved Wayland would be good, it's the only reason I don't try out KDE more these days, as Wayland is a minimal requirement for me. GNOME has been working great with Wayland for me for months.

Comment

That would be enough for now so lets focus on Wayland!
                      We do! But what about you? Ever thought of contributing? How many applications have your ported to Wayland?

Comment

Working...
                      X