Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 5.10 Beta Ships With Folder View Default, Improved Wayland

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • KDE Plasma 5.10 Beta Ships With Folder View Default, Improved Wayland

    Phoronix: KDE Plasma 5.10 Beta Ships With Folder View Default, Improved Wayland

    Ahead of the official release later this month, KDE Plasma 5.10 is now available in beta form for testing...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...asma-5.10-Beta

  • #2
    Originally posted by Griffin View Post
    Ubuntu will default to Wayland before KDE. Ubuntu will offer better Wayland support than KDE. How is that even possible!?
    You are coming from the Future?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Griffin View Post
      Ubuntu will default to Wayland before KDE. Ubuntu will offer better Wayland support than KDE. How is that even possible!?
      By Ubuntu adopting Gnome and ditching Unity, you genius.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
        You are coming from the Future?
        Considering that Wayland is a display server and KDE is a desktop (which Ubuntu supports with an official flavor), I'd say Griffin is coming from Troll Land...

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Griffin View Post
          Ubuntu will default to Wayland before KDE. Ubuntu will offer better Wayland support than KDE. How is that even possible!?
          Griffin will post something that's not completely dumb. How is that even possible?











          Nah, just kidding, it's not really possible.

          Comment


          • #6
            Guys, I think he just meant that because GNOME is supposed to have good Wayland support (haven't tried it myself) and Ubuntu is switching to GNOME, that the main distro may beat the KDE community / Kubuntu to wayland which feels weird due to the technological staleness we've gotten used to with Unity 7 and Canonical's "wayland is not our future" with Mir. It's weird considering how much Shuttleworth was annoyed at KDE leads saying "nope, not supporting Mir. They should switch to Wayland because it's the standard."

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Griffin View Post
              Ubuntu will default to Wayland before KDE. Ubuntu will offer better Wayland support than KDE. How is that even possible!?
              I might be wrong, but I could swear I read multiple times negatives comments about kde written with your account.
              How can you hate a piece of software?Moreover it's free in any sense and if you don't like it just leave it.

              If I confused with somebody else, then I apologize.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by lunarcloud View Post
                Guys, I think he just meant that because GNOME is supposed to have good Wayland support (haven't tried it myself) and Ubuntu is switching to GNOME, that the main distro may beat the KDE community / Kubuntu to wayland which feels weird due to the technological staleness we've gotten used to with Unity 7 and Canonical's "wayland is not our future" with Mir. It's weird considering how much Shuttleworth was annoyed at KDE leads saying "nope, not supporting Mir. They should switch to Wayland because it's the standard."
                Griffin is just a rabid GTK/Gnome fan who can't find enough GTK/Gnome threads on Phoronix thus his zeal overflows into unrelated threads.
                KDE can already switch to Wayland, they just said they won't till the switch becomes invisible to the end user. By contrast Gnome has switched, but lo and behold when I tried it on the latest Fedora in a VM, the Wayland session crashed on startup. So it's not perfect in either camp, but that's not what Griffin sees.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by bug77 View Post

                  Griffin is just a rabid GTK/Gnome fan who can't find enough GTK/Gnome threads on Phoronix thus his zeal overflows into unrelated threads.
                  KDE can already switch to Wayland, they just said they won't till the switch becomes invisible to the end user. By contrast Gnome has switched, but lo and behold when I tried it on the latest Fedora in a VM, the Wayland session crashed on startup. So it's not perfect in either camp, but that's not what Griffin sees.
                  I'm not a fan of anything, using GNOME just because it works well for me, and can't for a life of me make KDE work well for me, but wayland in my opinion, will not be ready (close to or on X level) for years to come.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                    KDE can already switch to Wayland
                    Did you ever try Plasma on Wayland? It's the land of bugs, mostly due to QT but still the land of bugs.
                    ## VGA ##
                    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X