FreeType 2.8 Completes OpenType Variation Fonts Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

I think the problem is that Pango does not support color emoji.
    Okay. I tried with Qt that does support color bitmap fonts, but still ran into issues with black and white emojies. Turned out I had the wrong font. Also it support a somewhat ackward since it is treated as a bitmap font that shouldn't be scaled. Perhaps it should be considered a bitmap font that _should_ be scaled instead.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

Okay. I tried with Qt that does support color bitmap fonts, but still ran into issues with black and white emojies. Turned out I had the wrong font. Also it support a somewhat ackward since it is treated as a bitmap font that shouldn't be scaled. Perhaps it should be considered a bitmap font that _should_ be scaled instead.
      AFAIK the color emoji is not standardized currently. There are 3 versions of, if my memory served me right. The embeded bitmap proposed by Google, the embeded SVG by Apple, and the layered glyph by Microsoft. However if the renderer does not support the version included in the font then it would use the fallback glyph, which B&W like any other glyphs.

Personally I like the Microsoft's proposal the most. SVG sounds like overkill to me (and it requires additional dependency), and embedded Bitmap seems too limited. Anyway I believe that Freetype already supports the Google's proposal (by the code that Google contributed.).

Comment

Working...
      X