Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeType 2.8 Completes OpenType Variation Fonts Support

Phoronix: FreeType 2.8 Completes OpenType Variation Fonts Support

FreeType 2.8 has been released and this version brings some big features to this widely-used open-source font engine...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...e-2.8-Released

Actually, OpenType was developed by Microsoft only, this newer method, 'OpenType Variations' was a joint development between Microsoft, Google, Apple and Adobe, as such it is pretty much the new standard.

Comment

What LOAD_TARGET_LCD is now a variant of LOAD_TARGET_LIGHT? But LOAD_TARGET_LCD is what we use for full hinting.. So now full hinting in some applications will be light?

Comment

Stuff like this is massive for DTP and content creation in general. I am looking forward to leveraging it.

Comment

I've always preferred FreeType font rendering to other OSes. Glad to see it didn't take them too long to do such a big and important update to OpenType

Comment

My biggest font problem on Linux is that Pango doesn't support color emoji.

On Windows 10 you have emoji, but not on Linux. I copied the Segoe UI font from Windows 10 to my Linux installation but I still don't get pretty colored emoji like on Windows. I only get monochrome emoji. This is because Pango lacks support.

Comment

The news text reads like Microsoft has developed and contributed the code to Freetype.

They didn't.

Comment

be GREAT to get this in F26 as a late inclusion, surely Fesco could do that.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  My biggest font problem on Linux is that Pango doesn't support color emoji.

On Windows 10 you have emoji, but not on Linux. I copied the Segoe UI font from Windows 10 to my Linux installation but I still don't get pretty colored emoji like on Windows. I only get monochrome emoji. This is because Pango lacks support.
                  You have to take the right one. Microsoft has both a monochrome and color version of the font. On non-Windows 10 it was only monochrome, and I think they are both still there in Windows 10. Also note there a multiple bitmap font formats, make sure you get a color font format supported by freetype (though I think they do use the MS one, but better check).

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

You have to take the right one. Microsoft has both a monochrome and color version of the font. On non-Windows 10 it was only monochrome, and I think they are both still there in Windows 10. Also note there a multiple bitmap font formats, make sure you get a color font format supported by freetype (though I think they do use the MS one, but better check).
                    I think the problem is that Pango does not support color emoji.

Comment

Working...
                    X