Qt 5.9 To Be An LTS Release, Qt 6 Planning On Radar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
    It is fact not troll. Think about it, Ubuntu will default to Wayland before KDE. Qt is not the silver bullet to Linux desktop. The latest Qt release even made Wayland support WORSE!
    The fact is Gnome is unusable for many people and I'm not just talking about its usability problems. It suffers from huge memory leaks which are present and unfixed since years.

Comment

I read few months ago that Budgie desktop developer are switiching to qt. I think that alone says how much easier/better to develop on qt rather than on gtk3+

Comment

GTK/mm is a nightmare to work with.. personal experience

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

The fact is Gnome is unusable for many people and I'm not just talking about its usability problems. It suffers from huge memory leaks which are present and unfixed since years.

https://bugzilla.gnome.org/buglist.c...ormat=specific
          Given GNOME 3.x is probably not the first DE people think of offering much in the way of features and/or functionality, it is rather telling that it is still suffering from ongoing memory leaks.

Comment

Pawlerson. I like how you provided a buglist including many unmaintained and deprecated module. A great trip down memory lane. Thanks for proving that you are not capable of searching on bugzilla.

Anyway, (wrong) opinions on APIs or unclosed bugs on old modules won't change anything. Fact is that Wayland on KDE is a mess and Ubuntu will get proper Wayland before KDE.
            I don't have to base on bugzilla. I showed you in another thread I can reproduce those memory leaks on my PC. They're huge and they're present since years. Another problem is deleting with Files. It takes up to ten more time than with Dolphin. Fact is Wayland isn't usable with Gnome, yet. I'd love to get rid of X, but it's not the case for now. Fixing memory leaks and impoving performance should be their priority.

Comment

Griffin

Too bad you ignored other links. Furthermore, I can reproduce huge memory leak in Gnome for all the time. Huge memory leaks in Gnome unfixed for years are facts. I won't bother helping them fixing this problem, because they ignored it for years. Just like they ignored opinions of Gnome 2 users, so screw them. It seems there's something terribly wrong with Gnome development. It's much more streamlined than KDE, but suffers from many more serious problems.

Comment

Pawlerson. Great. You added anecdotal evidence to supplement the stale bug reports. Meanwhile Gnome is used in enterprise production systems, I guess they know better than you. At least Ubuntu were smat enough to learn, you might be less fortunate.
                If simple function is too problematic for you, then here you go:

https://bugzilla.gnome.org/buglist.c...ormat=specific

Gnome is offered for enterprise production systems and this makes a huge difference. Furthermore, many of enterprise systems are still using Gnome 2. Such unstable memory killer like Gnome 3 in enterprise doesn't sound good. It's matter of time when enterprise will switch to KDE. And.. Canonical will switch to Qt. Remember my words. Ps. can you explain why deleting files in Files takes up to ten more time in comparison to Dolphin? Thanks.
                Last edited by Guest; 12 May 2017, 05:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X