Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full MP3 Support Being Added To Fedora Linux

Phoronix: Full MP3 Support Being Added To Fedora Linux

Fedora Workstation last year enabled support for MP3 decoding on this Red Hat Linux distribution while now they are enabling MP3 encoding support too...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Let's hope the same will happen with S3TC: http://www.patentcountdown.org/

Comment

Mageia also put the LAME MP3 Codec from Tained Pakages to Main/Core for upcoming Mageia 6.

Comment

Happy to be with Gentoo, where I always have the choice.
        I know one can have MP3 and stuff also on SuSE, RH etc. via 3rd party repos, and I know about the patent issues and the possible liabilities of big distributors with a real world office that could be sued - but it still is far from reality not to have decss, MP3 and stuff on by default. I mean, just imagine a first user experience with Linux. They'll shriek and end up saying that Linux sucks because it can't even play a simple MP3 file. Most people will not recognize the patent issues behind all that. (I wonder how nullsoft did handle that licensing back in the days...)
        Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Too bad this happens when MP3 isn't relevant anymore. Kids these days are all about streaming.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            Too bad this happens when MP3 isn't relevant anymore. Kids these days are all about streaming.
            For me also MP3 is not releavant anymore. I switched to FLAC (if i have much drivespace) and Opus (for portable).

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
              So there's no need to be sad. Ogg Vorbis had already offered an alternative for those who did have a problem with the licensing, but science should be allowed to directly profit from successful research in order to fund more research and to have the industry pay for it. And as long as we still have patents was this far from being a bad use of software patents. Let's not forget RedHat is still a profit organization. I wouldn't lose any sleep if RedHat had to pay a penny to every open source developer for making money with free software. Just saying...

Comment

There's still plenty of mp3 content out there. It's too bad gstreamer didn't move the mpg123 plugin from 'ugly' to 'good' for their recent 1.12 release. It would have made life a little easier for distros/packagers. I guess it's coming for 1.14

Comment

Originally posted by Pranos View Post
                  Mageia also put the LAME MP3 Codec from Tained Pakages to Main/Core for upcoming Mageia 6.
                  Wish they'd get the forum back up

Comment

Originally posted by Pranos View Post
                    For me also MP3 is not releavant anymore. I switched to FLAC (if i have much drivespace) and Opus (for portable).
                    Same here. Computer or external HDD with thousands of FLAC's and convert everything to 64kbps Opus to carry in my smartphone.

It's increadible how 64k Opus is pretty transparent to me (phillips she9000 here), while 64k mp3 is really crappy.

Comment

Working...
                    X