X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johanb View Post
    Interesting. Does anyone know why?
    Tl; dr
    They lack the manpower (they are around 10-ish people total) to make the changes needed to add features that are required in a display manager, so they just fork something and customize it.

Mint has always been about customizing stuff and tying it well together, not about making new.

Comment

There was a time when I was using Cinnamon (started early 1x and dropped around 1.8 but I was checking on it until 2.2) but then I dropped it in favor of Gnome 3. That's a nice DE but it's slightly inconsistent and looks a bit dated for my liking. I prefer Gnome 3 since around 3.16/3.18. I need to give Deepin DE a go.

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post

Not getting this one. GJS is basically just an adaptation of the Mozilla javascript engine to the glib APIs... there's not much Gnome-specific about it, so it's a little hard to appreciate why Cinnamon would bother forking it. And I assume that the "upgrade" in question is just merging the changes announced by the upstream GJS developers last week, rather than repeating what I gather to have been a difficult upgrade on their own...
        I was wondering this myself... perhaps they added some cinnamon interfaces? I can imagine they are just merging from upstream, as you said.

Comment

Originally posted by Xorg View Post
          I'm using Nemo because I dislike what has become Nautilus (but I'm not saying Nautilus is bad file explorer).
          A desktop grid? Like there is in Windows? If they do this, I hope it will be possible to turn it off. I like the current desktop comportment, I can place my desktop icons where I want.

I hope using more process in Nemo will avoid crashes (something, the Nemo window crashes, so my desktop icons disappear).
          Judging by Mint's history it'll probably be optional. Clem is not one to impose stuff upon his users, unless there's no way around it, like Mint Update, for instance.

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post

Interesting. Does anyone know why?
            Bottom line?
            Because it's better.
            And because MDM conflicts with some other package, i suspect...

And they forked it.

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post

Not getting this one. GJS is basically just an adaptation of the Mozilla javascript engine to the glib APIs... there's not much Gnome-specific about it, so it's a little hard to appreciate why Cinnamon would bother forking it. And I assume that the "upgrade" in question is just merging the changes announced by the upstream GJS developers last week, rather than repeating what I gather to have been a difficult upgrade on their own...
              Its actually completely GNOME specific. Its a binding layer on top of mozjs for GObject introspection. Since the old mozjs dependency will be removed in the next Ubuntu LTS, they have to upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post

I was wondering this myself... perhaps they added some cinnamon interfaces? I can imagine they are just merging from upstream, as you said.
                The reason is keep compatibility without need to update the shell to a new version of gjs... So, you can controlled then when you want to switch to a new version and you can prepared your code to do an update without take care about of other people (gnome). This type of thing will help you to avoid situations like that: https://antergos.com/blog/important-...e-of-cinnarch/

Comment

Working...
                X