GNOME's JavaScript Component Will Be Seeing More Improvements For 3.26

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I'm not a dev, but I seem to remember that in either 3.22 or 3.24 the GNOME devs added some construction in the code that would prevent locking up / freezing GNOME Shell. Correct me if my memory doesn't serve me right.
    I am using gnome-shell 3.24 and it freezes and crashes when I write my buggy extension.

Comment

No idea why you have WebKit 2 with Epiphany and yet incorporate the Javascript Engine from Mozilla instead of the one directly from WebKit.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
        No idea why you have WebKit 2 with Epiphany and yet incorporate the Javascript Engine from Mozilla instead of the one directly from WebKit.
        Why would you do that? Does anyone use Webkit's Javascript engine? Last I checked even Apple didn't use it and they replaced it with Nitro in all of their browsers.

Comment

Originally posted by notanoob View Post
          Out of curiosity, what is this javascript interpreter actually used for on the desktop?
          Originally posted by Krejzi View Post
          Some GNOME Apps are written in (G)JS, and they use gjs interpreter to launch.
          I had forgot about that, Gnome Documents is indeed written in JavaScript (!).

The other critical use is Gnome Shell is written in JavaScript, and all the Gnome Shell Extensions that change and enhance its behavior, like Dash to Dock, are written in JavaScript.

Comment

Working...
          X