KDE Kirigami 2.1 Released To Help Build Convergent Linux Apps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Still not understanding what Kirigami is, I see.
    Sashlik is an "android on Linux Desktop" emulator to run Android apps on a PC.
    You are not expecting Griffin to understand something, are you? trolls are defined by their lack of understanding hence they troll like a child

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
      Not to defend a troll, but Shashlik is (sadly) DOA. No activity on github in the last year. Other projects are taking over.
      Yeah, and Solaris development was also stopped by Oracle some time ago. Really that's all unrelated to what Kirigami is.

Comment

Originally posted by rtfazeberdee View Post
        You are not expecting Griffin to understand something, are you?
        No, I just make sure that others don't fall in his traps. He pulled yet another invalid comparison, I just pointed it out.

Comment

While I don't think that it is likely to succeed on phones or tablets anytime soon, there's no reason why it couldn't be successful on new platforms like the GUI in new car computers.

Comment

The problem is that the requirements for mobile and desktop GUIs are different, and it seems that most people would have realized that by now. The reason all these projects, open source or not, continue to fail is that the GUIs are made to suit the lowest common denominator of mobile platforms, and then forced onto desktops as well. It won't work, and it's not necessary.

Linux already has the answer, a common underlying system that any GUI can be implemented on. People aren't so stupid that they can't use different GUIs, especially if they're good ones that are efficient and relevant to their platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
              The problem is that the requirements for mobile and desktop GUIs are different, and it seems that most people would have realized that by now. The reason all these projects, open source or not, continue to fail is that the GUIs are made to suit the lowest common denominator of mobile platforms, and then forced onto desktops as well. It won't work, and it's not necessary.
              The whole point of Kirigami is that mobile and desktop don't use the same GUIs. It is designed to make it easy to create a single application that adjusts its GUI on-the-fly to the form factor it finds itself on.

So you plug your phone into a keyboard, mouse, and screen and your running applications switch from phone-oriented GUIs to laptop-oriented GUIs. In principle they would be able to switch to TV remote-oriented GUIs if you connect to a TV, although that wouldn't make much sense except for a fairly narrow range of applications.
              Last edited by TheBlackCat; 29 April 2017, 03:18 PM.

Comment

I'm not sure that a GUI that works well on a small phone/tablet (< 9") screen is *ever* going to work well on a desktop PC.

However, I think a GUI that works on a desktop PCs and laptops down to around 12" or so and which can be switched to a mode that uses the same API coupled with styling tailored to work better for tablets (9-12" let's say) might not be an entirely stupid idea when consider the emerging 2-in-1 detachable market where the displays have touch functionality that works well when they are converted to 'tent' touch mode ( /\ ).

In this sense, I think Kirigami has merit.

Windows 10 is actually not bad in this regard (yeah, feel free to pile on the flames now). I recently bought an Apollo Lake Celeron N3450 powered Chuwi Hi13 (which uses the 13.5" 3000x2000 panel from the Surface Book) and I can see Kirigami being useful for this in the future once it no longer needs to run Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by ermo View Post
                  I'm not sure that a GUI that works well on a small phone/tablet (< 9") screen is *ever* going to work well on a desktop PC.

However, I think a GUI that works on a desktop PCs and laptops down to around 12" or so and which can be switched to a mode that uses the same API coupled with styling tailored to work better for tablets (9-12" let's say) might not be an entirely stupid idea when consider the emerging 2-in-1 detachable market where the displays have touch functionality that works well when they are converted to 'tent' touch mode ( /\ ).

In this sense, I think Kirigami has merit.

Windows 10 is actually not bad in this regard (yeah, feel free to pile on the flames now). I recently bought an Apollo Lake Celeron N3450 powered Chuwi Hi13 (which uses the 13.5" 3000x2000 panel from the Surface Book) and I can see Kirigami being useful for this in the future once it no longer needs to run Windows.
                  That's the whole point of Kirigami. It will adjust the GUI based on what device you are using the app on.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
                    The whole point of Kirigami is that mobile and desktop don't use the same GUIs. It is designed to make it easy to create a single application that adjusts its GUI on-the-fly to the form factor it finds itself on.
                    This. Even MS grasped this concept and does the same in their "Continuum" feature.

(and Unity 8 also does that, one of the reasons it makes sense to save it from the Mir sinking ship)

Comment

ermo

There are some example screenshots on an older post that shows a program in "mobile" mode and the same code running in "desktop" mode (linked below). Too bad the new article only shows Plasma Discover in desktop mode.

Comment

Working...
                      X