Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MPV 0.25 Media Player Released With Numerous Changes

Phoronix: MPV 0.25 Media Player Released With Numerous Changes

For fans of MPV as the media player forked from MPlayer/MPlayer2, a new release was tagged this weekend...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: MPV 0.25 Media Player Released With Numerous Changes

For fans of MPV as the media player forked from MPlayer/MPlayer2, a new release was tagged this weekend...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-0.25-Released
    Unfortunately, this will be the last release with a conventional numerical release-tag! (i.e. MPV [or rather mpv] will never reach version 1.0)

All other releases from now on will be tagged by their weird-ass git commit ID in the master branch...

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

Unfortunately, this will be the last release with a conventional numerical release-tag! (i.e. MPV [or rather mpv] will never reach version 1.0)

All other releases from now on will be tagged by their weird-ass git commit ID in the master branch...
      Urg, the whole point of tags is you don't need to remember the SHA ID - sigh

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

Who cares, people probably just run the script:

🔨 Helper scripts to compile mpv on Linux. Contribute to mpv-player/mpv-build development by creating an account on GitHub.

I run this roughly once they make release, works for years like that... or you mean something would be changed there?

Code:
        mpv 0.25.0-7-g809d160 (C) 2000-2017 mpv/MPlayer/mplayer2 projects
         built on Mon Apr 24 07:29:00 CEST 2017
        ffmpeg library versions:
           libavutil       55.61.100
           libavcodec      57.93.100
           libavformat     57.72.101
           libswscale      4.7.101
           libavfilter     6.86.100
           libswresample   2.8.100
        ffmpeg version: N-85641-gdd49eff
        Using Devuan 1.0 for couple days, works there same way... didn't expected it would work on oldish dist, but it does
        Last edited by dungeon; 24 April 2017, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Devs really make it easy for one to compile, if just everybody would be that philanthrope...

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
            Who cares, people probably just run the script:
            Most probably use their distro-provided version, which depends on increasing version numbers to determine which version to install.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post

Most probably use their distro-provided version, which depends on increasing version numbers to determine which version to install.
              Yeah distro problematics There are epohs in Debian, upstream can change whatever versions 100 times differently does not matter, put a number at begining and say what you want version...

It is not an issue if they changed it once in 5 years, probably wanna make it clear version because of these relicense shit or something

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
              Devs really make it easy for one to compile, if just everybody would be that philanthrope...
              Well, it is the similar for mplayer svn, running configure immidiately download new fmpeg and compile everything in couple minutes.

$ mplayer
              MPlayer SVN-r37933 (C) 2000-2017 MPlayer Team
              I recommend MPlayer actually first, especially as these MPV devs tend to remove/disable/break a lot of things of their choice which might not be someone elses choice . And yeah I think MPlayer is faster on old hardware (maybe even on newer, i randomly checked GL vo and it uses double less CPU with mplayer here and there ), have more features old outputs people might want, more control, etc... they tend to not remove and particulary not relicensing anything
              Last edited by dungeon; 26 April 2017, 01:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X