Netflix Should Now Play Nicely On Fedora, Other Linux Distributions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Geopirate View Post
    There are huge studios producing the content who control the copyright of the content you want to watch DRM free on Netflix. So instead of directing your anger at them, you direct it at Netflix while they *try* to bring the content to your preferred platform?
    so, tell us story of drm on itunes

Comment

Then people wonder why these companies aren't interested in reaching out to the Open Source community with open arms.
      Because we should stop insisting that we own what we buy, and be grateful that they are willing to take our money.

Comment

This follows the common theme of Open Source enthusiasts of attacking the middle man. There are huge studios producing the content who control the copyright of the content you want to watch DRM free on Netflix. So instead of directing your anger at them, you direct it at Netflix while they *try* to bring the content to your preferred platform? Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

Then people wonder why these companies aren't interested in reaching out to the Open Source community with open arms. Also see any thread having to do with AMD's efforts to open up their drivers, it's just sad and self defeating.
        Netflix chose to enter the entertainment business by their own free will, so they chose to play for the DRM and thus are no less guilty. If they had started selling pizza, I wouldn't have complained.

Also they are not *trying*, poor ones, to bring blah blah blah, they are a company, no charity or kind benefactors, and all they want is to squeeze as much money as they can from me.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiba View Post

Netflix chose to enter the entertainment business by their own free will, so they chose to play for the DRM and thus are no less guilty.
          And you can give them your money and still be called a thief.

Comment

We all love it when Netflix takes on ISPs who want to destroy net neutrality, because no ISP would dare block them... but we should remember that once Netflix dominate, they will become just as evil as the cable companies they displace.
            Last edited by speculatrix; 22 April 2017, 11:18 AM. Reason: tidying

Comment

This follows the common theme of Open Source enthusiasts of attacking the middle man. There are huge studios producing the content who control the copyright of the content you want to watch DRM free on Netflix. So instead of directing your anger at them, you direct it at Netflix while they *try* to bring the content to your preferred platform? Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.
              Yeah, let's restrict this to Open Source enthusiasts and not to morons at large, because for example people isn't blaming Windows 10 for issues in third party drivers, nono.

Then people wonder why these companies aren't interested in reaching out to the Open Source community with open arms.
              FYI, it's usually because there is like 1% marketshare on Linux/Unix, not because of possible risk of being flamed by idiots in forums they don't even know about.

Comment

Then people wonder why these companies aren't interested in reaching out to the Open Source community with open arms. Also see any thread having to do with AMD's efforts to open up their drivers, it's just sad and self defeating.
                That's all right. If Netflix (and others) will play ball with Hollywood, Hollywood won't change.

The right attitude would be to refuse to distribute such locked down content. And see if Hollywood can keep making as much money then.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                  Developers themselves have to rely on caniuse.com, so yeah, it's not surprising they're trying to determine the browser at runtime. As a bonus, this happens in an age where IE is dead and standards have prevailed
                  There are capability checks for that. You don't need to do UA checking at all these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Emdek View Post
                    Yeah, I know that too good, that there are still some such offenders around, I'm even tempted to change a bit default UA of own browser due to such sites...
                    I did. I use QupZilla which allows doing that quite handily (by default it masquerades as Chrome). It's hilarious how some sites misbehave even when you remove the utterly useless "Mozilla/5.0" from it. IIRC CloudFlare blocks you for that. Right now I'm using the minimal set that seems to work everywhere:
                    Code:
                    Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 QupZilla/2.0.1 Chrome/99
                    The Chrome/99 part makes it so that Google doesn't issue warnings about using "old versions of Chrome".

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post

There are capability checks for that. You don't need to do UA checking at all these days.
                      I haven't delved into those. How do they work? Because I don't think guarding each feature with a check is the answer.

Comment

Working...
                      X