Netflix Should Now Play Nicely On Fedora, Other Linux Distributions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post

It should be up to 720p or 1080p (depending on the policy for each video), which is the max most SWDRM is typically allowed, at least on Netflix.

Most 4K has ridiculous amounts of restrictions including requiring specific HDCP versions (if your monitor/TV doesn't support it, too bad for you) and requiring specific HWDRM, that would require co-ordination of "securing" the Video HW from secure boot, to the kernel, to the browser (hence the need for Intel+Windows+Edge).

Other HW will likely support it in the future, but no distro in their right mind is going to build and enforce that. The closest it will get to Linux will be in embedded Linux (i.e. like a Roku or something) or an embedded Unix-like system running on a game console or bluray player.
    Thank you for explanation.

This insane HDCP plus other HWDRM is ridiculous - it harm only legal users...
    In the past I didn't know about HDCP and I bought HD movie in YouTube Google Movies. Of course I could play SD quality only... After hours of net digging I found the answer: Google Movies require HDCP that is not available in Fedora (and in fact in all other "normal" distributions).

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post
      Lack of content? My list is extremely long, not going to finish it any time soon.

What is bleach?
      Eh, they're missing A LOT of classic movies, subtitles are hit and (most of the time) miss, sound is all over the place (LoTR in stereo, wth?).
      I guess depending on your country, the situation may not be as bad, bit in my case it just didn't feel like I was getting my money's worth.

Comment

Originally posted by Danniello View Post

Thank you for explanation.

This insane HDCP plus other HWDRM is ridiculous - it harm only legal users...
        In the past I didn't know about HDCP and I bought HD movie in YouTube Google Movies. Of course I could play SD quality only... After hours of net digging I found the answer: Google Movies require HDCP that is not available in Fedora (and in fact in all other "normal" distributions).
        It hurts studios too, because I won't touch such content on principle.

Comment

It's safe to say that rights management is a complicated mess. One thing I noticed is that Amazon Prime Video, while most movies are just SD, if you watch Amazon created content, it comes in in full 1080p. So as many of the instigators of DRM and such continue to "lose" maybe the answer is in the "new" providers like Netflix and Amazon (?).

Comment

Not interested in infesting the OS with this DRM garbage.

Comment

Originally posted by cjcox View Post
              It's safe to say that rights management is a complicated mess. One thing I noticed is that Amazon Prime Video, while most movies are just SD, if you watch Amazon created content, it comes in in full 1080p. So as many of the instigators of DRM and such continue to "lose" maybe the answer is in the "new" providers like Netflix and Amazon (?).
              Well, obviously.
              The current model (of Hollywood putting technology in my CPU, GPU, monitor, OS, whatever) is only meant to enforce a model no one likes, where Hollywood controls both creation and distributions. For all other industries I can think of, putting both creation/production and distribution in the same hands is illegal. And has been for years.

Comment

Until I don't have to replace my ryzen and Linux install for inferior product, I will continue to pay for my Usenet subscription. I use 4k content when available.
                ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Emdek View Post
                  Comparing User Agent string? In 2017?...
                  It's more likely than you think!

Even Google Maps does it. You're not lying that your browser is Chrome/Firefox? Too bad, no placemark dragging/3D support for you!

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post

It's more likely than you think!

Even Google Maps does it. You're not lying that your browser is Chrome/Firefox? Too bad, no placemark dragging/3D support for you!
                    Developers themselves have to rely on caniuse.com, so yeah, it's not surprising they're trying to determine the browser at runtime. As a bonus, this happens in an age where IE is dead and standards have prevailed

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                      Netflix is such a screwup... they can't even keep their OWN client software working right. A few days ago, got a message from the wife saying "netflix doesn't work". Got home to error "could not communicate with netflix servers -111". This, of course, is on a NEXUS PLAYER running THEIR OWN CLIENT SOFTWARE.
                      The player is irrelevant. You sound like a moron.

Comment

Working...
                      X