No announcement yet.

KDE Applications 17.04 Unveiled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If anyone is wondering why Griffin is not throwing more insults in this thread is because he has been banned after insulting disabled people, insulting non-Gnome people, etc. (https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...481#post947481)

Although Honton, Griffin, etc. use to come back to waste people's life, using a new alias.
    Last edited by Nth_man; 22 April 2017, 05:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ThanosRules View Post
      I cannot understand all this hate for KDE.
      Seems to be a political thing. GNOME originated in North America, KDE in Europe.

Comment

Originally posted by ldo17 View Post

Seems to be a political thing. GNOME originated in North America, KDE in Europe.
        I think this is more related to their origins. GNOME and GTK are part of GNU project. so GNU fanboys prefers it.

Comment

Originally posted by fedora-user View Post

I think this is more related to their origins. GNOME and GTK are part of GNU project. so GNU fanboys prefers it.
          I think this is more related to the fact that humans are tribal animals that tend to lash out at anything easily identifiable as "other", especially when there is one prominent rival and they are free from any repercussions for their behavior.

Comment

Originally posted by fedora-user View Post
            I always assumed it was due to GTK being C and KDE being C++. Although, I'm sure Qt's licensing caveats accumulated some share of the antipathy towards KDE.

I prefer KDE due to its configurability, and I've found it to be quite stable (if slightly less so, in recent years). From the limited amount I've seen of Gnome, it's not been more stable.

Also, it freaks me out to run GTK programs from the commandline and see how many assertions and warnings are printed. Apparently, GTK isn't the easiest framework to use correctly.

Finally, having had some experience having to use GLib/GObject, I can understand the previous point. This idea of creating an entire object system in plain C is just sadomasochistic. It's such a pain to use, and that's probably related to many of the problems. If you really wanted an object system in C, then Gnome should have an IDL for specifying objects, and a tool for generating the C definition and all the different language bindings. That could be worthwhile, but having to maintain language bindings by hand is another self-inflicted wound.

Finally, ref-counting in C just hurts. Smart pointers in C++ are so elegant and almost effortless.

On the flip side, most of my complaints about Qt are based on its age. In spite of what I said about Gnome using an IDL, MOC is one of my chief complaints about Qt. In the age of C++11 (or even C++98 + boost), it's utterly unnecessary. I'd love to see a C++11 reboot of Qt, but I'm content to use it as is.

Comment

I don't get it why so much hate. I use KDE for as long as I use Linux based OS, tried many other DEs but always used to go back to KDE because it is the only one to fulfill majority of needs. KDE apps are very awesome and in general KDE is just so much better. I don't know what people do with their desktops if they say KDE is buggy. I use KDE destop full time even at work and it works well. And I do some resource intensive stuff like video editing, 3d and vfx, photo editing and KDE is rock solid. I can watch movies, create various media content, browse internet and it just works and looks beautiful.

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
                Try a decent GNOME3 fork like Solus. Solus use some carefully chosen compile flags and the dev behind tries to follow good heuristics taken from clear linux AFAIK. Also its compositor uses like 30MB of RAM on 64-bit machine compared to mutter 200MB like you mentioned. It is my first try on Solus today as I dumped KDe5 as described in post #2. Solus runs surprisingly well on Athlon64 FX-57 here. The whole distro seems to boot to less than 500MB (that includes Solus's 30MB update checker and some 20MB python printer applet), not bad. This leaves me some spare memory for Steam/HL2 as I only have 1GB in this system.
                People with total shit PCs... people with total shit PCs everywhere.
                Last edited by starshipeleven; 22 April 2017, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
                  it can also make isos i think. so its pretty useful even if you dont use discs.
                  Yes it makes iso files too, but on linux DVDs are on their last leg.

DVDs are still alive on Windows, but they are mostly unusable on Linux with newer disks because DRM or whatever other bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    People with total shit PCs... people with total shit PCs everywhere.
                    Well, when you replace a machine, it's nice to relegate it to some non-critical purpose.

Anyway, my most recent full upgrade was from a Pentium 4 - that was too power hungry to keep around. So, I drafted my then-recently purchased Raspberry Pi into duty as a sort of micro server. It had 512 MB, but they're now up to 1 GB.

Comment

Yes it makes iso files too, but on linux DVDs are on their last leg.
                      For the longest time, I only used it for ripping CDs. When I finally needed to burn a disk to upgrade some firmware on a machine that had an optical drive, I initially forgot it could also burn! (me: "hey, what can I use to burn this?")

DVDs are still alive on Windows, but they are mostly unusable on Linux with newer disks because DRM or whatever other bullshit.
                      I stopped watching DVDs on my PC years ago. Now, it's strictly blu-rays on my big TV, with its nice motion-smoother. Once you get used to the motion interpolation, you realize that you can actually see a lot more detail. I tried turning it off, a couple times, and the jumpy picture looked horrendous. Worse, it seemed like the bright parts and dark parts of the image were panning at different speeds (it's a plasma, FWIW).

BTW, I'm replacing my Pi 1.B with an Apollo Lake, so I can stream videos from it and get gigabit ethernet, native SATA, and USB 3 ports. I'll probably start off with just 4 GB of DDR3L. It's a lot more expensive, though.

If I had more budget constraints, I'd probably go with the ODROID C2, and make do with 2 GB DDR3, EMMC 5.0, and USB 2.0. At least it has GigE, and it's clocked 25% higher than Pi 3 + it has 2x the DRAM and much faster storage:

http://www.hardkernel.com/main/produ...=G145457216438
                      Last edited by coder; 23 April 2017, 03:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X