Xfce Session Manager 4.13 Released, Ported To GTK3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post

I might think about switching back to xfce when this comes out, lack of opengl compositing in xfwm was always my biggest issue with xfce
    Compton runs well with xfce and it provides the opengl compositing that you want and also a tear free experience.

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
      Compton runs well with xfce and it provides the opengl compositing that you want and also a tear free experience.
      See http://blog.alteroot.org/articles/20...xfce-4.14.html

Lots of works on xfwm4’ compositor (in master), with implementation of vsync using OpenGL, libepoxy support, adding of DRI3/Present to the compositor, use of GLX for compositing instead of Xrender…

Comment

Vsync in Xfwm is so welcome, finally!

And yeah Wayland would be even better, but we know that could take a while especially given development isn't the fastest on Xfce nor do I imagine it's much of a priority for them, as much as I'd like it.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          As for substituting X, why not the whole name? XFCE doesn't use XForms anymore.
          But, is it "Xfce", not "XFCE" anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post
            schmidtbag well it's a bit more complicated than just porting it to GTK3, but its the first step for sure.
            Yep. Porting to GTK3 is a big step towards getting your apps working under Wayland - but assuming the apps have the usual variety of direct X11 dependencies, there's typically a fair amount of work before they'll work with the Wayland backend. And that's only talking about apps... for the desktop itself to run under Wayland, it needs to provide a compositor as a replacement for the traditional WM.

Also, note that this announcement isn't about Xfce as a whole - it's about one specific component being ported to GTK3. I don't know what the status of the overall project is, but this is only one small piece.

Comment

I'm more than happy to wait for GTK3 instead of any other feature, honestly. Some graphic cards (like mine, HD 5770) experience a lot of tearing playing video with XORG.
              Last edited by Zeioth; 17 April 2017, 07:45 AM.

Comment

XFCE or LXDE users group Grupo de usuarios de XFCE & LXDE, no importa que distro uses. Bienvenidos! Groupe d'utilisateurs LXDE ou XFCE, quelle que soit la distribution d'où vous venez : Bienvenue!...

Comment

Sweet. The only thing that needed fixing on a fresh install no longer needs to be touched.

I don't get why people don't like xfce just because its an old interface and doesn't use wayland unless you are a developer. Gnome still isn't quite usable on a tablet, wayland still needs work, you can change out parts of xfce that you don't like without a dependency hell uninstalling the whole desktop, and its just more efficient while being feature complete.

Kde and gnome look shiny though

Comment

Agreed, xfce development could be faster, still I start to feel sick by the thought of hsving to work with either gnome or kde. Xfce is elegant, gets out of the way and just feels like desktop GUI should feel.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

You and your comments are so low educated so learn something new. Play pc games for example instead of writing shit.
                      Awwwwww. Takes one to know one!

Comment

Working...
                      X