Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xfce Session Manager 4.13 Released, Ported To GTK3

Phoronix: Xfce Session Manager 4.13 Released, Ported To GTK3

An updated version of the Xfce4 session manager was released this Easter weekend...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Either debianxfce has been good and the Easter bunny made him a nice present, or one us Gnome/KDE aficionados paid said bunny to ruin the stability of Xfce

Comment

I'm delighted that XFCE seems to be gaining momentum towards completing the GTK3 migration, and getting 4.14 closer, a few days ago xfwm 4.13 was released with proper vsync support.

IMHO xfce together with mate are the best desktop environments for Linux. Dependable no-nonsense approach, quick, customizable and to the point.

Comment

I was testing Xubuntu 16.04 in a system for a server with LTSP-PnP, and I have to say, I got why - whose name shall not be spoken - like it so much. It's probably the most complete DE based in GTK, and the one that come closest to KDE in flexibility and resources. And it is remarkable how little RAM it needs to do that, about 150 MB less than KDE Neon after the login.

Comment

I think XFCE is just great the way it is. Does not get in your way and helps you out with the basics keep up the good work!

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
            I was testing Xubuntu 16.04 in a system for a server with LTSP-PnP, and I have to say, I got why - whose name shall not be spoken - like it so much. It's probably the most complete DE based in GTK, and the one that come closest to KDE in flexibility and resources. And it is remarkable how little RAM it needs to do that, about 150 MB less than KDE Neon after the login.
            I doubt anyone here on Phoronix ever had a beef with Xfce. It's the "XYZ is the way" attitude that's annoying. Substitute XYZ for anything, really.
            Last edited by bug77; 17 April 2017, 08:29 AM. Reason: For clarity

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
              I doubt anyone here on Phoronix ever had a beef with Xfce. It's the "X is the way" attitude that's annoying. Substitute X for anything, really.
              Well, I think some people's beef with XFCE is the lack of Wayland support, which I'm assuming porting to GTK3 ought to fix.

As for substituting X, why not the whole name? XFCE doesn't use XForms anymore. The way I see it, if it ever gains Wayland support, the name will become entirely meaningless.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I doubt anyone here on Phoronix ever had a beef with Xfce. It's the "X is the way" attitude that's annoying. Substitute X for anything, really.
                Of course X is the way, make survey how many people use X and you will see
                Last edited by dungeon; 16 April 2017, 08:02 PM.

Comment

schmidtbag well it's a bit more complicated than just porting it to GTK3, but its the first step for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post
                    I'm delighted that XFCE seems to be gaining momentum towards completing the GTK3 migration, and getting 4.14 closer, a few days ago xfwm 4.13 was released with proper vsync support.

IMHO xfce together with mate are the best desktop environments for Linux. Dependable no-nonsense approach, quick, customizable and to the point.
                    I might think about switching back to xfce when this comes out, lack of opengl compositing in xfwm was always my biggest issue with xfce

Comment

Working...
                    X