No announcement yet.

Babe: KDE Gets Another Music Player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Media player? Meh, all you need is bash and mplayer!

Comment

Originally posted by Staffan View Post
      Media player? Meh, all you need is bash and mplayer!
      The funny thing is, replace "mplayer" with "mpv" and throw in a custom wrapper around locate for digging out older stuff and that's exactly what I do for the video side of my media handling.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
        The essence of Open Source: let's drop something which worked before just fine (Juk, Amarok, Clementine) but it's no longer maintained and create something new which will be maintained until we lose interest again. Then the cycle repeats.
        The essence of birdie: be stupid, ignore facts, remain stupid. Examples from non Open Source software: WinAMP, Windows (ME, Vista, 8). Cycle repeats.

Comment

Originally posted by IreMinMon View Post
          I'm not an expert like the rest of you on phoronix, but isn't this the sad thing about KDE?
          I mean, there's genuine issues with KDE, like wayland support, ksmserver crashing, plasma-mobile etc.
          KDE saying they are underpowered, that they need more people, then time goes wasted on projects like this.
          If there's one thing nobody needs it's more music players.
          Well create a media player is way easier than solve those issues and people who do it, cannot really do the more complicated stuff. It's like when hospital says "we need more doctors!" and you say "but why do they have so many people helping people change clothes and shit?" Having lot of nurses and helpers won't change your lack of doctors

Comment

Originally posted by mike44 View Post
            VLC and you never use anything else anymore.
            Couldn't disagree more. VLC's UI is and always has been absolutely disgusting. I despise using it for music, and don't even like using it for video. It's better for video than it is for music.

Very few video players have a decent user interface for music. Music player interfaces can and should be more streamlined.

That said, I looked at the screenshot of Babe, and I don't think it's any better, but I don't know how configurable it is. But, hey, other people might disagree and think Babe's UI is good.

Comment

Originally posted by Holograph View Post

VLC's UI is and always has been absolutely disgusting. ...

Very few video players have a decent user interface for music. Music player interfaces can and should be more streamlined.
              De gustibus non est disputandum...

Comment

Originally posted by IreMinMon View Post
                I'm not an expert like the rest of you on phoronix, but isn't this the sad thing about KDE?
                I mean, there's genuine issues with KDE, like wayland support, ksmserver crashing, plasma-mobile etc.
                KDE saying they are underpowered, that they need more people, then time goes wasted on projects like this.
                If there's one thing nobody needs it's more music players.
                The author of 'babe' wasn't part of the KDE community before, and it is certainly possible that he will only work on this project, and not on other KDE projects. Additionally, it is perfectly possible, that the existing members of the KDE community will not help him with 'babe'.

But I don't think this is sad. It would be sad to see people getting forced to contribute to a project they do not want to contribute to.

Comment

Working...
                X