No announcement yet.

Babe: KDE Gets Another Music Player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@mike44, true, but it has some minor issues, but still is probably the best general purpose media player for Linux, and maybe for some other platforms too. ;-)

Comment

another one media player but no native S.M.A.R.T widget ... there is VLC and these players can't compete with it.

Comment

I can't stand VLC. It's a small cluster of packages to install on Debian, consistently piss poor in presentation in playing movies when compared to GNOME MPV/MPV separate, then wants to be a swiss army knife of media while being a bag of hurt in design and consistency.

If I want to muck with every little setting I'll remix my own stuff with Ardour or Logic Pro.

Comment

@Marc Driftmeyer, blame packagers. ;-)
          Same for GStreamer, myriad of libraries (even more)...
          You might want to try skins, I never tried them, since I tend to use minimal interface (just video widget) even in windowed mode.

Comment

Is this really a KDE music player or a music player that happens to be written for the KDE environment?

Comment

Emdek I was going to argue with you about developer maintaining an app vs KF5 breaking the app but I researched it and figured out you are the developer of that player so maybe you know a bit more about this topic than I do.

-------

rtfazeberdee
              > Is this really a KDE music player or a music player that happens to be written for the KDE environment?

Originally neither. It wasn't a part of the KDE project and it wasn't exclusive to KDE Plasma.

Now though, it has been accepted into KDE project.

It's still not exclusive to Plasma though, just like Clementine, Amarok, etc are Qt based apps but there aren't any usage restrictions.

Comment

Originally posted by rtfazeberdee View Post
                Is this really a KDE music player or a music player that happens to be written for the KDE environment?
                You mean Plasma environment? "KDE" is just a community now.

Comment

The essence of Open Source: let's drop something which worked before just fine (Juk, Amarok, Clementine) but it's no longer maintained and create something new which will be maintained until we lose interest again. Then the cycle repeats.

Comment

I've never found a media player that matches the format support in Audacious Media Player and I like how "little more than a playlist, a Jump to Track dialog, and some OSD and global hotkey hooks" I can make it, so I've never used anything else seriously for audio playback.

For example, QMMP comes closest (it tries to be a Qt clone of the Foobar2000 UI, just like Audacious does with GTK+) but it lacks the following things:
                    • AdPlug and PSF backends (plus 2SF and VTX if you're counting things I don't actually use yet)
                    • Song-change OSD popups which can make the background translucent without making the text translucent too (Important for allowing me to read either piece of text without having to wait or reach for the mouse when the OSD appears over something I'm in the middle of reading.)
                    • A global hotkey plugin which allows more than one key to be bound to each action (I've got a Unicomp 104-key keyboard, where I use things like Win+Pause for playback control, plus an ATi Remote Wonder II which emits multimedia keysyms like XF86AudioPlay.)

Just the format support alone is enough that, if I want to write a "media player", I'll write an MPRIS-attached frontend instead. (And, given my preferred approach to music management, that would just be a popup playlist builder/library manager, since most of my interactions with Audacious are through the OSD, the global hotkeys, and the Jump to Track dialog triggered, again, by global hotkey.)
                    Last edited by ssokolow; 15 April 2017, 04:43 PM.

Comment

ssokolow, it sounds like you should try XMMS2. I still use it and upstream promises me it's not completely dead!

Comment

Working...
                      X